Gibson Brands Forums

SLASH GOLDTOP UPDATED WITH PICS

SCHULTZSRV

Guest icantbuyafender

yeah, his 2nd touring LPs were gibbys.

I wonder how gibson feels about his 1st knock-off LP though... it made him some big bucks, but this is making him bigger bucks.

In his biography, he says that after the stolen GOLDTOP was recovered, GIBSON made him an exact copy with cigarette burns and everything. He is the only person in the world to have one of those. However that and working directly with SLASH is where they got the specs for my SLASH GOLDTOP.

Do any of you remember the red LP that GIBSON put out with the SLASH'S SNAKEPIT logo on it? I had a chance to buy one those in the mid nineties when they came out. I don't remember how much they were, however they are cool looking.

th_imagesCA64L9LF.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender
In his biography' date=' he says that after the stolen GOLDTOP was recovered, GIBSON made him an exact copy with cigarette burns and everything. He is the only person in the world to have one of those. However that and working directly with SLASH is where they got the specs for my SLASH GOLDTOP.

Do any of you remember the red LP that GIBSON put out with the SLASH'S SNAKEPIT logo on it? I had a chance to buy one those in the mid nineties when they came out. I don't remember how much they were, however they are cool looking.

th_imagesCA64L9LF.jpg

I've seen a few of those! they made a green and purple one i think... i could be wrong

the gibson one had a snake on the fretboard right?

I am not sure if they came in other colors or if they had a snake in the headstock, however that would be cool.

Before the GOLDTOP came out SLASH and GIBSON/EPIPHONE had a TOBBACCO BURST (see pictures). On the TOBBACCO BURST, you had to purchase the guitar, register the warranty and then GIBSON/EPIPHONE would send you the autographed certificate of authenticity. The only bad part about that is that the offer for the autograph had a time period limitation. The guitar shop where I bought mine has a TOBBACCO BURST, however it is a 2007 and the time limit has run out so, even though the guitar is brand new, you get no autograph. That kind of stinks.

th_imagesCAZE3X66.jpg

th_Slash_LP_Epi_h-1.jpg

A SLASH guitar that I forgot to mention is the new one. I saw it about a week ago at the same shop that I bought mine at. It has the drawing from SLASH's new solo album on the headstock and is a burst, I don't remember which color burst though. I can't find any pics on the internet yet, however if I do I will post them. The shop was asking $2500 for it and it was a U.S.A. GIBSON though.

A SLASH guitar that I forgot to mention is the new one. I saw it about a week ago at the same shop that I bought mine at. It has the drawing from SLASH's new solo album on the headstock and is a burst' date=' I don't remember which color burst though. I can't find any pics on the internet yet, however if I do I will post them. The shop was asking $2500 for it and it was a U.S.A. GIBSON though.[/quote']

Was it the new Appetite for Destruction Les Paul?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Slash-Appetite-Les-Paul.aspx

Ironically, a Gibson copy of Slash's Les Paul copy.

O.K. Here is my review, the APPETITE LES PAUL plays great and sounds awesome. However it baffles me how GIBSON or FENDER or who ever is your favorite guitar company can justify these prices. I have owned alot of guitars over the years GIBSONS, EPIPHONES, FENDERS, SQUIRES, JACKSON / CHARVEL, ETC. I am not cutting on any of these companies, however I cannot see or feel a quality difference between my high end EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD SLASH GOLDTOP and the GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD APPETITE SLASH guitar. The quality seems the same, however the GIBSON is over twice the price.

It is not only with GIBSON guitars, It happens with FENDER too. I have a FENDER STRATOCASTER STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN EDITION and have owned FENDER AMERICAN STANDARDS and AMERICAN HIGHWAY ONE STRATS and there are differences in neck size, pick ups, wood, etc., however the quality is the same. There is a huge difference between a SQUIRE of any cost verses a U.S.A. FENDER. GIBSON seems to have better quality control and a better working relationship with EPIPHONE than FENDER does with SQUIRE.

I recently bought a U.S.A. GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO and it was an awesome guitar of awesome quality, however I returned it when I found my EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD SLASH GOLDTOP because I like the SLASH guitar more. Not because it is a SLASH EDITION, but because I like the feel of it better. I see no quality difference at all. They have different neck sizes, finishes, pickups,etc. and they play and sound different. The quality however is the same.

I can't say that a $100.00 EPI is the same as a $4700.00 GIBSON, however if you go high end on both they are of equal quality. An AMERICAN MADE FENDER is light years better than the most expensive SQUIRE.

I like to buy AMERICAN made guitars and I am willing to pay more for them, so when I played my SLASH EPI and liked it better than the AMERICAN GIBSON, I was very surprised.

I want to make sure that you understand that I am not cutting down any of the guitars mentioned, I am just stating my opinion.

Archived