Gibson Brands Forums

The New DR-500MCE

Mike54

The just-released DR-500MCE has been featured on the Epi website home page for about a month with the Vintage Sunburst finish, right? Every Epi news release and independent advance review/article all show the same photos-vintage sunburst. Now guitarcenter.com, musiciansfriend.com, and music123.com have it in stock, but only in natural finish. (nothing on Sweetwater.com yet.)

Before, no mention of natural finish, only VS pictures. Now, no mention of VS or when it might be available. The Epi website still only shows the VS, the sales outlets only show/have the natural.

I got my AJ-500R about 3 years ago right as they were phasing out the VS models, but natural finishes were, and still are available.

Anybody have any knowledge of whether the company might have decided not to produce the Dr-500mce in VS, or will release it later? If anyone runs across any information about this please post it. The natural looks OK, but that tobacco burst has me and a friend or two excited to check it out.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also very interested in the dr-500mce VS but I don't now when will it be available. I have a question regarding the price. Official price that was announced a few days ago is 999$ and the price listed on musiciansfriend and guitarcenter is 599$. Why is that?

Also, if anyone could help me... I am trying to decide between this Epiphone and a Taylor 210e. Any suggestions? Should I wait for the dr-500mce vs or go for the Taylor?? I don't know if I am allowed to mention other brands here but I would appreciate your comments very much. Thanks

Also' date=' if anyone could help me... I am trying to decide between this Epiphone and a Taylor 210e. Any suggestions? Should I wait for the dr-500mce vs or go for the Taylor?? I don't if I am allowed to mention other brands here but I would appreciate your comments very much. Thanks[/quote']

I don't know about DR availability, but will comment Masterbilt VS Taylor 210.

I played 214 Taylor in times when I was waiting for EF-500, and because it took so long to get later one, I was thinking: Well, if I add few hundred bucks I can have a real Taylor...

But, I am really glad I didn't do this. While 214 is not a bad guitar at all, it is just one of the entry level Taylors with only solid top and not back/sides. With Masterbilt you get everything solid and I think the sound is much warmer too, but this is subjective, since I didn't test them side by side.

Now, this could be all true also for DR vs 210, or not.

It's all about higher level Epi vs entry level Taylor...

Re: Prices... There is the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), and there is what is often referred to as the "Street Price". If you look at any guitar on any online site you'll see the MSRP, and the actual price you pay when you buy it. Most of the time the actual price is 35-40% less than the MSRP. The DR-500MCE MSRP is $999, but the sale price is $599, and all of the sites I looked at include the hardshell case with that price. It looks like a pretty good deal overall.

I have been told by a couple of sources that Epiphone have attempted to take on there own ordering/shipping to keep costs down and have made a mess of it, (I was told it was done by an outside distributer before) and changed there release date to compensate. We are apparently getting the new DR500MCE VS in June/July here in the U.K, so I am told.

As I have never owned an Epiphone guitar and don't have much eperience with it, I was wondering what do you guys think:

It says here (http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1851) that the DR-500MCE is best for Fingerstyle, Live Performance and Vintage Tone Freaks! What do you think how will this guitar react with unplugged medium to hard flatpick strumming?? Being a Full-size dreadnought I supose it will generate a pretty big and balanced sound, but I was kinda surprised when I saw fingerstyle on the first place. I have tried DR-500M and its a very versatile guitar for sure. I hope that DR-500MCE will be at least alike.

If someone buys this guitar please post words, pics, videos.. anything [biggrin]

And thanks for the info Mike54, Bigsound and Fatmo

I have been told by a couple of sources that Epiphone have attempted to take on there own ordering/shipping to keep costs down and have made a mess of it' date=' (I was told it was done by an outside distributer before) and changed there release date to compensate. We are apparently getting the new DR500MCE VS in June/July here in the U.K, so I am told.[/quote']

Up until about 4 years ago, Epiphone (and Gibson) was distributed to UK retailers through the Rosetti Company. Around 2006, we set up our own warehouse in the Netherlands to distribute Epiphone (and Gibson) "directly" to all EU countries and the UK. Without the additional costs associated with a 3rd party distributor, our direct prices became more competitive. As a result of this as well as general improvement gained from the "ownership" of distribution, we are now selling much more Epiphone throughout the EU and the UK. I don't know who you spoke with but we have not "made a mess of it." In general, EU and UK retailers are much happier now. Things are going very well.

In the USA, Guitar Center and Musician's Friend were quick to order the natural color DR-500MCE's. Because our ordering system is first-in, first-out, they received them first. Originally, they only ordered natural but will be adding VS color soon.

Outside of the USA, you will see both natural and VS DR-500MCE's in retail stores perhaps as early as this month (May) and certainly by June.

Thanks,

Epiphone

Epi1... Thanks for the info. I have a friend who really likes my AJ-500R, and when he mentioned that he was looking for a cutaway, I showed him the articles on the DR-500MCE. The more he looks, the more he wants one, in Sunburst. He has 3 or 4 natural finish acoustics already. He's ready to order as soon as GC has them available. We get together with a bunch of people at least once a week, so I'll have a chance to play it and take photos. I'll post pics and a review when possible.

Up until about 4 years ago' date=' Epiphone (and Gibson) was distributed to UK retailers through the Rosetti Company. Around 2006, we set up our own warehouse in the Netherlands to distribute Epiphone (and Gibson) "directly" to all EU countries and the UK. Without the additional costs associated with a 3rd party distributor, our direct prices became more competitive. As a result of this as well as general improvement gained from the "ownership" of distribution, we are now selling much more Epiphone throughout the EU and the UK. I don't know who you spoke with but we have not "made a mess of it." In general, EU and UK retailers are much happier now. Things are going very well.

In the USA, Guitar Center and Musician's Friend were quick to order the natural color DR-500MCE's. Because our ordering system is first-in, first-out, they received them first. Originally, they only ordered natural but will be adding VS color soon.

Outside of the USA, you will see both natural and VS DR-500MCE's in retail stores perhaps as early as this month (May) and certainly by June.

Thanks,

Epiphone [/quote']

Thanks Epi1, I got the info from gak.com guitar amp keyboard and DV24 also said they have been ordered for a while and couldn't tell when they would arrive.

Thanks for clearing it up, I'll keep checking the online stores, looking forward to getting it.

Mo

As I have never owned an Epiphone guitar and don't have much eperience with it' date=' I was wondering what do you guys think:

It says here (http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1851) that the DR-500MCE is best for Fingerstyle, Live Performance and Vintage Tone Freaks! What do you think how will this guitar react with unplugged medium to hard flatpick strumming?? Being a Full-size dreadnought I supose it will generate a pretty big and balanced sound, but I was kinda surprised when I saw fingerstyle on the first place. I have tried DR-500M and its a very versatile guitar for sure. I hope that DR-500MCE will be at least alike.

If someone buys this guitar please post words, pics, videos.. anything [thumbup

And thanks for the info Mike54, Bigsound and Fatmo

I still haven't played DR-500MCE, but I guess "fingerstyle" is mentioned because guitar has slightly wider neck than usual dreads (1.725). As a dread, there shouldn't be any problem with strumming. And I am sure it is good as any Masterbilt guitar, looks nice too...

•Finish: gloss body, satin neck

All of the web sites currently selling the DR-500mce with specs detailing the finish as "Gloss Body". The pictures seem to show a "Satin" finish on the body sides and top. Anyone with details of what the finish actually is? I'm hoping for Gloss on the top.

•Includes: hard case (940-EDREAD) The included Hard Shell Case as listed on a number of sites really adds to the value of this guitar as for the last few years the Masterbilts did not come with a case.

•Finish: gloss body' date=' satin neck

All of the web sites currently selling the DR-500mce with specs detailing the finish as "[b']Gloss Body[/b]". The pictures seem to show a "Satin" finish on the body sides and top. Anyone with details of what the finish actually is? I'm hoping for Gloss on the top.

•Includes: hard case (940-EDREAD) The included Hard Shell Case as listed on a number of sites really adds to the value of this guitar as for the last few years the Masterbilts did not come with a case.

I also think that it looks like satin finish on official photos, but maybe this photo will prove that it is really gloss.

DR-500MCE VS image

Don't they come with a "soft-case" ?

Peter

I bought an AJ-500ME last year which is a great guitar, but No it did not come with a case. The Soft Shell case needed to be purchased for around $89 US. The guitar is great, but even though I took great care of the semi-hard case it started to fall apart where the latches were screwed into the styrafoam.

I believe the Masterbilts originally sold with cases, but Ephiphone changed that at some point.

I purchased my AJ-500R in '06 and the hard gig bag Masterbilt case was included at no charge. Shortly after that the cases were no longer included. But for the DR-500MCE, every online store now states that the 940-EDREAD case is included. This is a traditional hard case covered with faux leather. You can search that case ID # on MF. Here is the description:

The Epiphone EDREAD Dreadnought Hardshell Case is a rugged wood case covered in Tolex and featuring padded plush lining, heavy-duty handle, and an accessory compartment. Provides maximum protection.

I agree most of the advance promo pictures look like the satin finish instead of glossy. It'll be interesting to see what actually hits the streets. Either way, it's a good looking git, and I don't think the finish will be a deal breaker for anyone.

Jim,

Thanks for linking that pic post. I agree, the finish does look darker. And it looks more glossy than satin in this picture. The picture does answer a couple of questions....

1. There actually are Sunburst finished models somewhere in a warehouse in the USA, hopefully soon to be available through retail outlets, and 2. An actual picture of the guitar, not a promo shot, definitely shows just how beautiful this guitar is.

I had emailed Gibson Customer Service basically the same question about when the Vintage Sunburst models would be available, and I got a reply fairly quickly, but it went into my spam folder, and I just saw it.

This is their reply:

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting Gibson. The product code your dealer could order would be "EMECVSNH3". This is the number for the

DR-500 MCE model with vintage sunburst and nickel hardware. Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob Burns

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

So there it is for those of us who can't wait to order one.

Thanks to Gibson Customer Service for their fast and informative reply.

I just bought one of these yesterday at Guitar Center in Oklahoma City for 599. I was really kind of disappointed when i asked the sales rep about what the guitar came with like, owners manual, guitar case, warranty card, Epiphone stickers, and the sales rep told me that it did not come with anything all I got was the guitar and that I would have to go to Epiphone's website for anything else and download it...its a great instrument but I wish I could at at least have gotten an owners manual and not have to download a PDF off of the site...

Hey Mike, thanks for the info. Now that you've mentioned ordering...

I'm from Europe... and I went to official Gibson/Epiphone seller in my country and succesefully ordered one. They said that the guitar (VS) is available for order and that there should be no problems. So I ordered one! But I think that I'm gonna wait for at least one more month. How knows. Anyway I am sooo looking forward to it..

Hey SPD67. I can't believe you didn't get anything with it. Now that's strange...

Hope you can give us a little review of the instrument and tell us that it's great! (cause I've already ordered one :-k.

I thought it should come with a hard case, and I also thought that THIS IS TRUE

Maybe you should contact Customer Service.

Archived