Gibson Brands Forums

masterbuilt aj 500 rc 12 fret

I am having a really hard time finding a masterbuilt aj 500 rc 12 fret ,used or new, here in the Stuart,fla. area. does any one have any idea's or thoughts? I love my aj 500 m and would like to add the 12 fret for finger style endevors. thanks to all...

I am having a really hard time finding a masterbuilt aj 500 rc 12 fret ' date='used or new, here in the Stuart,fla. area. does any one have any idea's or thoughts? I love my aj 500 m and would like to add the 12 fret for finger style endevors. thanks to all...[/quote']

I think those of us who have them are going to want to hang onto them, too; therefore, won't be much CL or EBay action. They're irreplaceable, and I predict they'll develop some collector value--an instant classic, as soon as Epi pulled 'em off the line!

Correct, those of us who have them will not part with it. This has got to be the best Epi I have played, very responsive, excellent tonality, and clarity. I have had many offers on this model and though I sell guitars for a living this one will remain not for sale. The only issue I have seen with these is an occasonal bridge seperation form the top. [omg]

• 2 weeks later...

as I've said elsewhere… the next most-affordable slot-head 12th fret might be the Recording King Century Studio guitar… “V” neck, wide nut, light bracing, nitro finish… supposed to have decent tone and construction. No cedar top though.

“The only issue I have seen with these is an occasonal bridge seperation form the top.”

My bridge did just that, which the luthier at my retailer repaired nicely.

He said there was a tiny flaw in the workmanship where he’d had to reglue, and it might disappear with a little light buffing, so I suggested he buff up the entire top, thinking a smoother glossier surface might bring out the grain and even protect the cedar top slightly.

Mistake. He called back to say the finish must have been very thin as he’d buffed his way down to the primer in no time, and would now have to find the right finishing product for recoating.

It all worked out in the end – the guitar sounds fantastic as ever, maybe better, and the finish is like-new (I never did get my buff-up finish). I love this guitar.

Since then another luthier (my favorite this time) has told me there’s a slight twist in the neck and a bit of a hump where it joins the body (due to a design flaw built into almost all production guitars made today, he says, Gibsons and Martins included) but I reckon I’ll play it as is and let it settle in till it needs a fret job or something.

This guitar has a voice for anything I’m capable of throwing at it and more. I try to create a balanced texture on the guitar… a melody, chordal comping in the midrange, some bass lines. This guitar has enough voices for counter-melodies, alternate harmonizing voices, more bass timbres. It’s like a classical guitar with that cedar top; if there’s a limit it’s well beyond me.

And the neck is spacious enough to accomodate the different musical figures as well… it’s like playing a classical guitar, cedar top included.

Just don’t buff it up too quickly. (smiles)

I've been looking myself after first hearing about them from Red333 - Here is a post from Feb...

Hey Red333 just an fyi...we had talked about these a while ago... I recently saw two of the AJ500RC 12 Fret's go on e-bay one at $722 and one for $6something - I was in until about 550 the backed out...maybe some day

Yeah, I'm with Cogs...Mine won't ever be "For Sale" for years to come. Its too good of a guitar, actually its the best guitar I own atm. Soon that will change though as I pulled the trigger on Taylor (gasp!!) 412ce a few weeks ago, its not here yet but soon.

I remember when I was shopping for my RC12. I looked high and low for 6 months and couldn't find one either... that was three years ago, I finally found one available right before the holidays from AMS. It arrived about a week before Christmas if I remember right. It was a grand gift (to self) for sure and I play it daily, no issues at all luckily.

I did end up lightly polishing the sides and back and I'm getting a nice "patina" on the front from my forearm and where my pinky sits....yeah I'm a pinky planter.

I get complimented every time I take it out, most folks have no idea what it is.

Archived