Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 Neck Relief & Best Strings

trossit

I was wondering about my Indonesian made Epi EJ200. I bought this guitar about 3 weeks ago. It had some fret buzz so I attempted to add more relief to the neck. As I went to turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise, it was firm at first then loosened completely without creating any relief. Has anyone heard of this? The neck is not adjustable. Should it be returned? I also noticed this guitar did not have the "Set up in USA" sticker on the back of the headstock. it was sold as new but discounted $100 as clearance.

Also....what strings work best on this guitars. I replaced with DiAdderio's but they sound too brite. I prefer a warm darker sound. Thanks!

Give the strings a bit of time to settle down, possibly got that 'new string' jangle. If you still don't like 'em why not try Gibsons own 'J-200' strings that come on the Gibbys from the factory?

As for the neck issue, I don't know enough about it to give any advice other than take it to a shop that you trust to adjust it for you. It's worth paying for a decent set-up, maybe even upgrade to bone nut and saddle while you're at it?!?

All the best, Matt

Archived