Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V neck repair

salo

I'm really enjoying anthony_jb's guitar customization thread so I thought to kill a little time I would post a repair job I did on a flying V. Not sure what brand it is but its an import 67 Gibson flying V copy. Actually a pretty well made guitar but the neck was completely destroyed in shipping.

The neck was broken in so many places that I had to do the repair in like five stages. I honestly didn't think it would ever work again but I figured it would be fun to try and maybe learn something in the process. Don't laugh but the orange "C" clamp is actually my three year olds toy clamp. It worked great without damaging the wood. ha I now have a set of real clamps for this. Anyway here it is:

IMG_3278.jpg

I started by gluing the fret board back in place and also gluing the many 1 inch compound fractures that ran along the length of the neck wear the break was.

IMG_3279.jpg

Did the same with the headstock:

IMG_3341.jpg

Then I connected the pieces:

IMG_3342.jpg

After the glue was set I refretted the first two frets and leveled/crowned all the frets, then restrung the guitar to check for problems. After some more leveling it was playing great. I then removed the neck, sanded and sprayed it with black nito and then some clear nitro. To my surprise it holds tune, plays great and shows no symptoms of a neck that was pretty much firewood not long before.

IMG_3394.jpg

Here's how it turned out:

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

Lets see some of your repair/restorations!

Man, you must be reading my mind - I am going to post

a request for folks that have done repairs/refinishes/projects

to provide links to their threads, so that I can include some or all

in the "Do it yourself" thread under a subtopic for stuff like

this. That way others can look at start to finish of different

projects....

Great Job! Finished neck looks as if it were still original unbroken

neck! What research did you do to find out HOW to do it?

[crying][biggrin] [biggrin]

Thanks animalfarm! I was really surprised that it worked out as well as it did also. I like your idea about a sub-topic for projects. I'm a huge fan of those. I have been tinkering with guitars for a few years. If I get stuck or need advice I usually search the web, youtube has a lot of helpful videos, forums like this are good and one of my favorite luthier sites www.frets.com There are some really really helpful write ups on there.

Archived