Gibson Brands Forums

I have a question?

SCHULTZSRV

The price is unfricking real. I cannot see how GIBSON can justify that price. I know for a fact that my EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD SLASH EDITION plays and sounds every bit as good as that APPETTITE GIBSON. I have played both first hand and am not a proffessional guitar critic, however I have been playing for 37 years and I know a good guitar when I play it.

You know something? We currently have a Jeff Beck Oxblood Les Paul and one of the Jimmy Page LP's at the store. These are really good guitars, but IMHO, they don't play or sound any different that any other Gibson Les Paul!

Same goes for the $17,000 SRV Lenny Strat. Great guitar ... but $17,000 for what is essentially a "Franklin Mint" replica? No way! I'd rather take my Gibby LP Traditional Pro and make it the #1 "Inspired By MIDIMan Les Paul"!

Jim

Gibson can justify the prices because they know there are enough rich slash fans who will actually buy it. I understand the business end of it, because believe me if I could produce a product for less than $500 and sell it for upwards of 10 grand you guys would never see me this forum anymore. It just doesn't make sense to me from a consumer standpoint though. If you were cool with spending $15,000 for a guitar, why wouldn't you get one of the legit early 1950's Gibson Les Paul Goldtops? I mean THOSE are rare and they WILL increase with value over time.

Gibson can justify the prices because they know there are enough rich slash fans who will actually buy it. I understand the business end of it' date=' because believe me if I could produce a product for less than $500 and sell it for upwards of 10 grand you guys would never see me this forum anymore. It just doesn't make sense to me from a consumer standpoint though. If you were cool with spending $15,000 for a guitar, why wouldn't you get one of the legit early 1950's Gibson Les Paul Goldtops? I mean THOSE are rare and they WILL increase with value over time. [/quote']

+1

Archived