Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this? (Electric/acoustic)

Richard89

I could be wrong but my first reaction to that is that it is not an epiphone. What does it say on the label inside the soundhole? Any clues there?

Never seen another like it. How does it sound/play. Most important thing is, if you like it then enjoy it, simple as that.

All the best

Matt

I don't have an answer but I must say...that's a gorgeous, very distinctive-looking instrument. I love the jumbo body. And a fine photo. I would suggest turning the guitar 180º and posing it at an angle from bottom left to upper right and reshooting...try getting just a bit closer...the lighting is already pretty good.

Oh, wait...this is the Epiphone Guitar forum, not DPReview or Nikonians! Sorry! [blush]

This could be a Nouveau or Nova. Epiphone and Gibson, were experimenting with different styles and construction techniques either during the Norlin era or after Norlin sold it to investors who re-established Gibson Guitar Company. This made for some odd, un-Gibson and un-Epiphone looking guitars.

A close-up of the label will tell a tale. Can you get a light inside the sound box and get a close-up of the label? From where I sit it appears to have a Norlin, "Lincolnwood, IL." label.

The Nova had an oval sound hole and no back braces. The back was vaulted. It was made with different trim levels. One had a huge butterfly between the bridge and sound hole.

Here it is right here:

EpiEO_2EB.jpg

Archived