Gibson Brands Forums

New SG G-400

RiC

Hi,

I've recently bought a new SG vintage wine. The aim was to buy a nice guitar to see if I really wanted to get back into playing or not. The purchase was not entirely a painless experience. 1st guitar was returned with fret / string buzz and was returned to epiphone as something was not right with the neck. The replacement was returned for setup a couple of days later with similar buzzing. After a setup the buzzing is almost, but not quite gone. However there is now a fine scratch across the 9th fret right across the middle of the inlay. Although difficult to see now after some more use, a little bit of dirt in there, and it'll really stand out. Plus I know it's there so it's really annoying.

So a couple of questions:

1) Is a little bit of buzzing par for the course with this guitar or can it be removed with more tinkering?

2) Does anyone know of a way to polish out the scratch from the inlay?

Apart from the pain of repeated trips to the shop and being made to feel like to worst customer in the world I'm happy with my purchase. I think it's a beautiful guitar, it's great to play, I'm already better than I was 15 years ago (although that was less than mediocre) and I'm enjoying having a guitar again. I'm pretty sure this isn't some kind of midlife crisis and that I'll stick at it.

Oh and hi everyone, I'm new around here.

Ric

Hi Ric, and welcome to one of the best forums around.

A little string buzz is not uncommon on a guitar. You didn't say if the buzz happens only when it's unplugged, or if it also happens when it is plugged in. If it only happens unplugged, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If it happens when it is plugged in, then have you tried raising the bridge? Or you can shim the nut.

Adjusting the trust rod could also help if there is too much bow in the neck. It could also be a fret that is too high or too low.

As far as the inlay goes.....I would not worry about it. Guitars get scratches and marks on them. It does not affect the sound at all. You may get a guitar that "looks" perfect but does not sound as good as the one you have. So it's kind of a trade off. For me "Sound" always trumps "looks". Yeah, you can strive to have both.

But if the guitar sounds good, and feels good when you play it, then sometimes a small scratch just has to be tolerated.

Hope it all works out for you.

BTW, I love my G400!

Buzzing has a lot of possible sources. You're best bet is a good luthier. My g-400 didn't have fret buzz but it did have a buzz in the bridge. It took a little work to get it resolved but it's buzz free now. Assuming your neck isn't bowed beyond relief you should be able to get the guitar buzz & rattle free. It will take some experimenting on your part, but have a little patience. It'll come together & I think you'll be very pleased with the guitar. I'm very pleased with mine.

Good Luck.

Archived