Gibson Brands Forums

I want this!

Albannach

EbyGStrat.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Gibson-Electric-Guitar-/300428499888?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f2ef1bb0

This is on the evil bay at the moment and if I can get the guy to not go the PP route I will be making a serious bid on this . I have never been a Strat / Tele lover but this just oozes that certain something that says BUY ME NOW!

It looks like one of the better quality "Super Strats" from Epi but I do not know much about them - any guesses?

Serial Number - 80202782

PS (edit)- just went through Robin the Hood's link and have an idea that it is pre 1989 - possibly an S-500 with the modified headstock shape and the ARC inlays, Tech II PUs, - the tremelo does not look like the Epi Bennder and is missing the trem arm.

That is a late model S-500. I have an early model S-500. Of course, they only ran for four years, but the headstock indicates a later model. Possibly 1988 or 89. 1986 had a pointy, Jackson style headstock - and the 87's had a slightly rounded headstock. That one looks to have an elongated headstock. Hard to tell, though.

Ok, heres the skinny on the S-500. They have awesome necks and darn good tuners. The Tech-II pickups are ok, I suppose. The bodies are laminate. Mine has the most horendous routing job I've ever seen. Unplugged, they are very bassy and dull. Not a lot of snap to them due to the ply body.

That particular S-500 has the 2-point trem and no locknuts.

I really, REALLY dont like the ply body and I've been entertaining the thought of replacing it with an alder body. But despite that, the feel of the neck alone makes it one of my favorite guitars. They just have a reall quality feel about them.

Many thanks for the skinny on the S-500, all I need now is for the guy to allow alternative payment from PP and I will be going for it.

If the neck profile is in the same league as my GS guitars then I will be more than happy!

Archived