Gibson Brands Forums

New Model You Might Be Interested In ...

midiman56

Hello... This topic is why I joined this forum... I was at the guitar store earlier today... and saw the third guitar you all are talking about... The Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall....

I have to say... it looks good.. Unfortunately' date=' they guy there was not very helpful... and I am not a whiz where it comes to the features on this guitar...

I have been looking for a solid body electric with a tremolo for some time... I don't want a cheap guitar, but I don't want to pay a lot either... because I play for my own amusement...

Lately I have been playing rockabilly (I have a lot of back tracks and such) this is why I want a tremolo.. I am not a fender fan, but had been eying the Grestch Corvette... they cost around $625.00 and are almost impossible to find a case for.. but they are light... and can really pack a punch! I saw Rosie Flores play hers, and talked with her about it... she says she loves hers... She has been touring with it since she got it.. Problem is.. None of the guitar stores have one.. and I want to play it... which is why I don't want to buy it off the internet...

So today.. I saw this nightfall.... It is heavier than expected... (I was allowed to lift it off the rack) I did not play it.. as I said.. they guy never asked me if I wanted to... even though I already had about a $150.00 of other things I was buying..

This Nighthawk has pick ups that I am not familiar with.. again.. I don't think the guy was a good resource.. I noticed that the neck looked odd... I asked if it was composite.. he said yes.. After coming home and reading about it.. I see that it is Hard Maple with a satin finish... The body is Mahogany.. which explains the weight...

but to me... This looks like a heavy metal guitar...

So I ask... Does anyone know what kind of pick ups are on that guitar? How about the original one that was posted.. the Nightfall is black... but the same switches and controls as the other two guitars that are pictured in this thread....

The guy at the guitar store said that the FX cost more because it has a quilted maple top.. IDK if that is the only difference.. but 200 bucks difference! I could not get a good look at the FX because it was hanging above my head.. and again.. he did not ask if I would like to see it...

So does any one know if any of the three mentioned guitars would be good for Rockabilly? and or Blues? Not too crazy about the weight on the nightfall.. but if it is a good guitar that can play fast and is versitile.. that is what I want... with a floyd Rose tremolo... $500 bucks is a good price.. I like the first one shown... they did not have that one in stock..

To me, with all the different ways you can configure the pick ups.. It seems like a guitar you could play anything on.. am I right in thinking that?

[/quote']

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

I got to play all three and they all would be good. The nightfall has passive pups on them. they have a nice range output based on the volume you set them to.

electronic featues are the same on all three, the vol knobs will coil tap the pups (in up position) to a single coil setting giving you added tonal options. I found them all to play excellent. i will tell you these guitars have upgrade componets then previous lp out. ( epi version of a gibby traditional pro series)

as for differences, the fx has a quilt top, and floyd rose which will added to the price_ bling factor[blink] i would definitely play the nightfall for jazz, blues, rock , heavy metal. emg pups are very versitale and so are humbuckers. it really comes down to you and how you want to play.

i have played all three for the past week and really like the wine red. It seems to play alot warmer/creamer than the other 2. But the fx and nightfall are very sharp looking.

i hope this helps---also , go back to the store and have them bring those guitars down for some play time. that will teach um[cool]

Archived