Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul... Prophecy GX or Custom?

rythmking24

Hello,

Which guitar should I buy? I have pretty much decided on either a Prophecy Les Paul GX, or a Custom.

I just wondered if anyone had either, or both, and could tell me the pros and cons.

Obviously the Prophecy is a little more expensive. But is it worth it? I would assume the the Dirty fingers pickups are better than the ones on the Les paul customs. But I'm not sure.

There are also a couple of other Les Pauls; The Ultra and Plus... I'm not really sure what's so different about them, and what warrants the extra value.

Anyway, regarding my style etc; I mainly play heavy rock and metal. But also occasionally play in a blues band. So...

Any information or advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

I faced the same situation myself, but between the Prophecy EX and a Custom for hard rock and metal (I settled on the Prophecy.)

Some key points: The Prophecy LPs and LP Customs are essentially the same basic guitar, but the Prophecy comes with a few upgrades:

- Dirty Fingers pickups (excellent top-tier distortion pickups) with coil-splitting (good for cleans and blues tones I imagine)

- 24 frets (Was a big deal for me at the time, but after playing for a while I realised I never used the 23rd and 24th anyway, now they just disorient me when looking at the fretboard [cool])

- The strange inlays. It's up to you to decide if you like them, can live with them or can't live with them. (Personally I'm not a huge fan of them, but I don't mind them.)

- The super slim neck. (Very nice to play, it's truly a work of art.)

- The gorgeous quilted maple top.

- Ebony fretboard. (Also a very nice feature, one of my favorite parts of the guitar.)

- Graphite Nut. (Small but great addition to the guitar, the stock plastic nuts on all my epis have been shockers for binding, but not the Prophecy.)

The prophecy does, however, only feature 1 volume and 1 tone knob, so you are a bit more limited in your tonal variations than the Custom.

As for other models, the LP Standard is similar to the Custom but with less bling, and I think it's also a bit thinner. The Les Paul Ultra series are essentially Les Paul Standards, but with chambered bodies and acoustic pickups, not really a metal guitar. Also, unless I'm mistaken (it might just be for gibsons,) the Standard and it's derivatives have a 'mahogany' body with a 'maple' cap, whereas the Custom is all 'mahogany.'

All in all, I do believe that the Prophecy series is worth the extra price. You get the Dirty Fingers pickups (which will run you about US$100 each separately,) and other top-tier appointments like the ebony fretboard and slim neck profile.

Hope that helps you.

I agree 100% with Sjael on this one. Even after purchasing a Gibson Les Paul, I still find myself grabbing my LP Prophecy GX much of the time. The look, feel and especially the sound of this guitar just blow me away. I liked it so much that I even bought the SG version of the same guitar.

Good luck and have fun making your decision ... get out there and play 'em both if you can ...

Jim

Archived