Gibson Brands Forums

New to forum with a new AJ500R

akadave

Hi All,

Im new to the forum. I am new to Epiphone acoustics with the aquisition of a new Masterbilt AJ500R. I have a couple of Gibson electrics and will someday pick up a J45 but I thought I would get my fee wet with the AJ500R.

I have to say this AJ is pretty amazing. Im not much on an acoustic. My 28 years of playing being almost exclusively electric/ rock, hard rock, metal. I had a Taylor 310CE which really didnt do it for me. This AJ500R however seems to be much more to my liking and about 1/3 the cost!

Dave,

Welcome. AJ-500R is my weapon of choice. Had mine almost 4 years now. The J-45 was my wish list acoustic for quite a while, but having played several, both in stores and at jams from owners who were nice enough to trade for a song or two, I'm not sure I'd trade straight up for most of them. The satin neck on the AJ-500 has a way better feel to it than a J-45. I use D'Addario EXP Phospher Bronze .12-.53's, and I've tried a bunch of different strings. Also ordered some bone bridgepins from Bob Colosi at www.guitarsaddles.com. Got 3mm tortoise shell dots on vintage aged pins. they look great on this guitar.

Have fun with it, and post some pics when you get a chance.

Mike

Thanks Mike54.

Im going to get some bone pins for my AJ as well. My luthier says that I should get un-slotted pins and have the bridge slotted. Said it would improve the tone even more. Hes says that my AJ is a cannon and I got a good one.

I will do some picks. I like the looks of the spruce top. Its kind of darkish due to the satin finish with some streaks in it. It looks vintage to me.

One thing on the down side. I ordered the guitar from AMS and when I got it, it didnt have the gigbag/case. I thought "no prob". Whent to my local shop and the only thing they had that fit was an Epi hardshell case. Black with tan accents, gray interior, really really nice. The bad pare is it smells like mothballs soaked in paint thinner. Very strong! Ive been airing it out for a couple of weeks now...limited success but time may make it work.

Dave

Archived