Gibson Brands Forums

Budget for Upgrades

Thawk Dean

I'm concidering taking my 2 Epi's in for upgraded nuts, bridges and pins. One is a PR350 and the other is an EL-00. I'm just wondering what I need to budget for this. I assume they will also need a setup to go with this process. What can I expect to pay for these upgrades? Should I look for a "guitar doc" or do I need a luthier? Living in the middle of nowhere in northern WI, a luthier may be hard to find without a "road trip" the the "big city". Also. what would be the recommended materials for these upgrades? Dean

I assume you mean saddles instead of bridged, because the bridge will cost multiple times more than the saddle.

Around here, that would probably cost $100 per guitar. Maybe more, maybe less. It'll be mostly labour.

The most popular options are bone, Tusq, and corian. Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced that there's much difference between the three, but upgrading from plastic (especially hollow, injection-molded plastic) the differences are noticeable.

Gibson and Martin both ship corian from the factory. I have bone on my J-45.

The saddle will have the biggest change on tone, since the stings are always in contact with it. The nut will only have an effect on open strings. Opinions differ on how important the pins are.

Yeah.............saddles. Does it show that I'm relatively new to this GIT thing????? Do you recommend I find a luthier or will a git doc/tech be able to do a good job. There is a local music shop in the next town over from here. I'm going to stop in there and talk to the owner to get his opinion. THANKS for the quick reply. Dean

A tech may be able to cut a new saddle and nut, but it all depends on his abilities. It's not nearly as complicated as having a new bridge installed...

The pins are simple... it's a matter of finding the right size and sanding them if they're too tight.

Archived