Gibson Brands Forums

Tail pieces for Sheratons

Hooligan

I saw a picture somewhere of Sheraton with a trapese type tail piece. You could see holes in the guitar top where the stop bar used to be. Would there be any tone or playability benefits to the long tail piece?

I always thought the reason trapeze tailpieces were used mainly on hollowbodies was to minimise the need to drill into the top.

That and there's not enough wood in the top of a fully hollow body to properly hold a stop bar.

I've heard people say that it makes it more suitable for jazz and such.

I've done this (it may have been my Sheraton you saw, it's on the last page of the "post your Epiphone" topic). I'm the first to admit it was a cosmetic decision - I wanted to get it a little closer to the original model of the Sheraton. I also have a Fender Jaguar with the strings stretching back to a tailpiece so I knew what to expect - it does make the guitar sustain slightly less, I think, although I never hold notes or chords long enough for sustain to be an issue. What it has done is make the guitar more "acoustic" - it's louder to play unplugged, and when you play a chord the strings behind the bridge are stirred up a little so you get some extra resonance and ringing. Not quite like a 12 string, since these are much quieter and the strings behind the bridge are not tuned, but I'd say fuller and more complex sounding. That comes through the pickups as well.

So it's not a mod I would recommend for those who want mega sustain or searing hot rock tones, but for my money it made a nice guitar more beautiful and I enjoy the sound of it more.

Oh - and I will fill the stop bar holes, one day when I get a maple sheet and a plug cutter bit for my drill.

Archived