Gibson Brands Forums

SG G-400 Stock electronics?

Clyngedal

Hi folks! I am thinking of changing some of the electronics in my SG. And I need to know what the stock electronics are.

I'm on holiday (without the guitar) and I want to order the new electronics now so that they'll be in my mailbox when I get home [biggrin]

In order to upgrade anything, I'd need to know what's already in there, right? =)

So, here's what I want to know:

1. Volume-&Tonepots: Ohms and type? (Logarithmic/linear)

2. Are the pots "long shaft" or "short shaft" ?

3. What value the capacitors are. (Might be different from the 2 pickups maybe?)

Anyone willing to help me out by opening your backplates to check the above? =)

Also, regarding the the number 1 question, if you could just write down what is says on the different pots, I can work out the Ohms and type myself [thumbup]

Thanks a lot - in advance [thumbup]

Hi folks! I am thinking of changing some of the electronics in my SG. And I need to know what the stock electronics are.

I'm on holiday (without the guitar) and I want to order the new electronics now so that they'll be in my mailbox when I get home :-

In order to upgrade anything' date=' I'd need to know what's already in there, right? =)

So, here's what I want to know:

1. Volume-&Tonepots: Ohms and type? (Logarithmic/linear)

2. Are the pots "long shaft" or "short shaft" ?

3. What value the capacitors are. (Might be different from the 2 pickups maybe?)

Anyone willing to help me out by opening your backplates to check the above? =)

Also, regarding the the number 1 question, if you could just write down what is says on the different pots, I can work out the Ohms and type myself :-

Thanks a lot - in advance :-

[/quote']

volume pots say B500kohm

tone pots A300kohm

treble cap 2A223J

rythym cap 2A223J

being a "flat top" guitar they appear to be short shaft......

mines a 3/'04 G-400 Deluxe Flametop, but I think they're all the same.

Hope this helps.

volume pots say B500kohm

tone pots A300kohm

treble cap 2A223J

rythym cap 2A223J

being a "flat top" guitar they appear to be short shaft......

mines a 3/'04 G-400 Deluxe Flametop' date=' but I think they're all the same.

Hope this helps.

[/quote']

Thank you so much!

Yeah, they should be the same as on the standard G-400.

Still, I'd like to be a 100% sure...

So if anyone has a Epiphone SG G-400 and you're willing to check, it'd me much appreciated :-

Altough, I'd be surprised if they have different electronics :-

Standard 2-humbucker import guitar stuff:

500K import/coarse spline' date=' short-shaft, Audio/Log taper pots, with 22µf caps.[/quote']

Thing is - I suspect the tone pots in my G-400 to be 300K, and if they are, I'll replace them with 500K. And I'll probably just replace the volume pots as well. (Still 500K, just better quality)

Now, what should I get? Linear or Log/Audio taper pots?

Thing is - I suspect the tone pots in my G-400 to be 300K' date=' and if they are, I'll replace them with 500K. And I'll probably just replace the volume pots as well. (Still 500K, just better quality)

Now, what should I get? Linear or Log/Audio taper pots? [/quote']

Interesting this post should come up as I was being a busy little lab rat last night and testing all kinds of different pots in my half-modded les paul. Note that the stock epi pots on my les paul are ALPHA B500K (LINEAR 500K) for volume and ALPHA A500K (LOG 500K) for trebble. The gutiar mentioned above also uses linear for volume and log for tone. This is totally counterintuitive and totally the opposite of the standard recommendation. Hearing "Loudness" is a log function of power, so you'd expect to need log pots for volume.

The problem is 2 resistors in parallel influence eachother and when they're variable like pots, it gets very complex; the long and short of it is that as one pot is <50% resistance, it makes the other pot more log than its own taper, as the pot >50% resistance, it makes the other pot more exponential (i.e. makes a log pot closer to a linear pot) than its own taper.

I tested with ONLY a volume pot, pickup and jack in the circuit and found, weirdly, that LINEAR gave me the smoothest volume adjustment and that a log volume pot has most of its action at about 7-10 on the knob.

I tested with ONLY a tone pot, pickup and jack in the circuit and found, that LOG gave me the smoothest tone adjustment and that a linear tone pot has most of its action at about 1-3 on the knob.

So I'd say the most natural way to do it would be LIN volume, LOG tone (Which is exactly the way Epiphone seems to do it).

The most viable alternative would be LOG volume LOG tone. This would be for people who want the smoothest volume curve when tone is at 10, and probably rarely turn the tone control down. When the tone pot is at 10, the LOG volume pot is made artificially more exponential and is closer to a linear pot. The downside is that as the tone knob goes down, the log function of the volume pot gets far more exaggerated and below 50% resistance the volume pot basically has all of its action between 9-10 and is silent below 9.

There's no reason I can think of for linear tone pots, it would put all of the tone control between 1-3 on the knob, getting more exaggerated the lower the volume; Can't think of any reason this would be good.

Interesting this post should come up as I was being a busy little lab rat last night and testing all kinds of different pots in my half-modded les paul. Note that the stock epi pots on my les paul are ALPHA B500K (LINEAR 500K) for volume and ALPHA A500K (LOG 500K) for trebble. The gutiar mentioned above also uses linear for volume and log for tone. This is totally counterintuitive and totally the opposite of the standard recommendation. Hearing "Loudness" is a log function of power' date=' so you'd expect to need log pots for volume.

The problem is 2 resistors in parallel influence eachother and when they're variable like pots, it gets very complex; the long and short of it is that as one pot is <50% resistance, it makes the other pot more log than its own taper, as the pot >50% resistance, it makes the other pot more exponential (i.e. makes a log pot closer to a linear pot) than its own taper.

I tested with ONLY a volume pot, pickup and jack in the circuit and found, weirdly, that LINEAR gave me the smoothest volume adjustment and that a log volume pot has most of its action at about 7-10 on the knob.

I tested with ONLY a tone pot, pickup and jack in the circuit and found, that LOG gave me the smoothest tone adjustment and that a linear tone pot has most of its action at about 1-3 on the knob.

[b']So I'd say the most natural way to do it would be LIN volume, LOG tone[/b] (Which is exactly the way Epiphone seems to do it).

The most viable alternative would be LOG volume LOG tone. This would be for people who want the smoothest volume curve when tone is at 10, and probably rarely turn the tone control down. When the tone pot is at 10, the LOG volume pot is made artificially more exponential and is closer to a linear pot. The downside is that as the tone knob goes down, the log function of the volume pot gets far more exaggerated and below 50% resistance the volume pot basically has all of its action between 9-10 and is silent below 9.

There's no reason I can think of for linear tone pots, it would put all of the tone control between 1-3 on the knob, getting more exaggerated the lower the volume; Can't think of any reason this would be good.

Very useful information!

I was able to get a friend to open my guitar and check the pots for me- they are the same as yours. ALPHA 500K. LINEAR volume, LOG tone.

I ordered new pots yesterday - all LOG 1M (1000K) - I want the guitar to scream out those high frequencies [confused]

If 1M is too bright - should I put the the back the 500K LOG as tone or as volume?

I guess I'll just experiment with it, see what works best for me [confused]

Archived