Gibson Brands Forums

Parts upgrade for LP Studio

alexLP

So I've got myself a 1995 model Epi Les Paul Studio with the Alnico Classic Humbuckers and was wondering what the common upgrades are for the pick-ups' date=' and for the model in particular.[/quote']

You posted monday, no responses yet?

There is no such thing as a "common" upgrade ! [confused]

All will depend on things such as:

Do you prefer open coil pups, or Covered?

Type of music you play. Do you want a "hot, nasty" sound, or are

you looking for a more classic tone?

Do you like the stock tuners, or do you want to change?

HOW MUCH $$$$$ DO YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH? (This is important!).

There are affordable goodies and expensive goodies.

Can you post a pic or two of what you HAVE and perhaps what

you're looking for? Many members here have many links to websites

that can supply your needs!

You're right I was very vague. I'll get some photos and upload them when I can.

I play mainly Rock with a bit of heavier stuff. I also play Jazz and Blues a fair bit. Was looking at the lower price bracket stuff.

You're right I was very vague. I'll get some photos and upload them when I can.

I play mainly Rock with a bit of heavier stuff. I also play Jazz and Blues a fair bit. Was looking at the lower price bracket stuff.

Well if you like 'heavier stuff' and jazz you need a set of pickups with a lot of clarity. They will set you back a little over £100 for the pair but I heartily recommend the Seymour Duncan Hot rodded humbucker set (JB + Jazz.) They do very nicely for rock and blues too - still articulate at the bridge despite being hot and crystal clear.

Thomann usually have good prices for these.

Thanks for your advice' date=' I had a look at the Seymour Duncan range earlier but wasn't sure what to go for. I'll do a bit of research into what you suggested and see what I can find [confused][/quote']

No problem.

Forgot to say, the youtube clip in my signature illustrates the difference the JB + Jazz made in my LP.

Also, if you want chrome covered pups the Gibson 490R/498T combo might fit the bill too and they are similarly priced. I'm tempted to put that set in my studio.

Alan

Regarding chrome and looks, they are definitely a second agenda, but I plan to swap over all the plastics to black and the metal to gold at some point.

As may be obvious by now I'm a total newbie with electrics (been playing Spanish/classical for around 7-8 years and never touched anything else), how do the pickup covers work? Do you need special pickups to go with them? And how do they effect the sound?

lp2.jpg

. . . how do the pickup covers work? Do you need special pickups to go with them? And how do they effect the sound?

Some pick-ups have covers' date=' others don't. The Studios (like yours and mine) have what is called an open-coil (no covers) humbuckers. I happen to like the pups in my Studio. And I like the look of the open-coils.

Open coil:

picture059hq.jpg

Covered:

cameramarch2010022.jpg

If you are looking to change the hardware out to gold, then you will most likely want to be looking for gold covered humbuckers. Many pick-ups are available in either gold or silver. Go for the best sound for you, first, then decide on the hardware color.

Best of luck.

Sheila

Archived