Gibson Brands Forums

Supernova Humbuckers

I know this is a really boring question in comparison to a lot of the more interesting stuff on here, but I was just wondering if there was anyone around that had possibly changed the '57 humbuckers out on their Supernova and fancied selling them on to me.

When I got my guitar the covers themselves were in a poor condition. I think the previous owner had tried polishing out some scratches and had taken the chrome coating off. I've tried everything to source some new covers, but the pole spacing is not the usual 50mm or 52mm. The neck spacing is 48mm and the the bridge is 50mm. Obviously the neck one is the tricky one.

I did buy a matching set of LP '57 Classics, but these have the usual standard spacings, so if anyone can help me out or knows of anywhere or anyone, please, please, please let me know.

I've been searching around for over a year to try and find some way of replacing the covers, but no luck. I did post on this a while back but got no replies [confused]

Thanks.

It might be a long shot but have a look at Kent Armstrong or Bare Knuckle PUs. I know that Kent Armstrong does a larger range than before so you might have a chance there. There could be a few guitar shops that will have a few oddities lying around but I bet you have done the pavement pounding and crosscountry thing already

Alternatively - take them out and have them refurbished - would probably cost a bit more but you keep the original tone that way.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for your reply. I had sort of exhausted every possible option online, but I will give those places a look. Its a bit of an issue with this guitar with the neck being slightly thinner. Everything is 2mm smaller than normal.

Speaking of refurbishing them as a last option, do you know of anywhere in particular that might do that? Most of the music shops in my local area don't deal in that sort of thing. Most just do minor maintainance.

Archived