Gibson Brands Forums

I've gotta question

GuitarFanatic3

I may be wrong, but the Hummingbird is made of mahogany and the Dove is maple, so the Hummingbird would give you a darker tone, while the Dove a brighter one (nowai!)

Personally I prefers me a sopping wet (not literally) mahogany acoustic tone. [biggrin]

I may be wrong' date=' but the Hummingbird is made of mahogany and the Dove is maple, so the Hummingbird would give you a darker tone, while the Dove a brighter one (nowai!)

Personally I prefers me a sopping wet (not literally) mahogany acoustic tone. [biggrin

Mmm "wet" and "mohagany" in the same sentence... mmmm...

No... it must be me... nevermind...

Both are great acoustics that you can't go wrong with and each has it's own tone. I love Mahogany for it's crisp and clear ringing tones but my favorite tonewood is probably Maple. My Taylor 612C, although being a small, grand concert, size, will always cut through a mix in a band situation. I attribute that to the Maple which has a quick attack that seems to stand out among other instruments.

That said, my current "Favorite" Gibson design is the Advanced Jumbo. Mine is a Sitka spruce top and a rosewood back and sides. With the AJ you will never get lost in a mix as it is a canon of a guitar that gushes lush sounds. It is easy to play fingerstyle or bang out bluegrass lines..... Plus, I just love the "Slope Shoulder" design of the AJ. Guitar Centers typically have one around, but otherwise, they are a bit tough to find.

Here is mine for your reference.......

Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg

Both are great acoustics that you can't go wrong with and each has it's own tone. I love Mahogany for it's crisp and clear ringing tones but my favorite tonewood is probably Maple. My Taylor 612C' date=' although being a small, grand concert, size, will always cut through a mix in a band situation. I attribute that to the Maple which has a quick attack that seems to stand out among other instruments.

That said, my current "Favorite" Gibson design is the Advanced Jumbo. Mine is a Sitka spruce top and a rosewood back and sides. With the AJ you will never get lost in a mix as it is a canon of a guitar that gushes lush sounds. It is easy to play fingerstyle or bang out bluegrass lines..... Plus, I just love the "Slope Shoulder" design of the AJ. Guitar Centers typically have one around, but otherwise, they are a bit tough to find.

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg[/img]

TP,

Beautiful geet... but Cat Stevens wants his strap back[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

TP' date='

Beautiful geet... but Cat Stevens wants his strap back[biggrin'] [biggrin] [biggrin]

I didn't know Cat had one, but I did know Neil Young had one for "Old Black" his Les Paul! [biggrin]

NeilYoung-oldblack.jpg

I think that may have helped put the manufacturing company, "ACE" on the map back in the 60's and 70's. I got mine when I did a search for my birth mother (I was adopted at 3 months old). When I found her, I was in my late 20's and had been playing guitar for about 10 years. She had been a guitar player as well in a band in the early 60's. She gave me the strap to remember her with when we parted ways after meeting. I had it repaired by a good friend who is a whiz with a sewing machine. It's funny how much people will pay for an old "Hippy" strap from ACE now on Ebay! [blink] Just for the record.... mine is NOT for sale! (Unless someone has a "Vintage" guitar they want to trade! :-$ )

Both are great acoustics that you can't go wrong with and each has it's own tone. I love Mahogany for it's crisp and clear ringing tones but my favorite tonewood is probably Maple. My Taylor 612C' date=' although being a small, grand concert, size, will always cut through a mix in a band situation. I attribute that to the Maple which has a quick attack that seems to stand out among other instruments.

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg[/img]

love that guitar! i think ill go with the hummingbird in the future. thanks for the help. [confused]

Archived