Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting the floating bridge

sachi

I see that floating bridges have been discussed here a few times but not quite on the issue I have.

The shop left a foam strip under the bridge when it sent it out the door with me. So, it moves rather easily. I first need to know what the tricks are to keep it from moving around, and second . . . is there an easy way to figure out where it should be set? The darn thing slid somewhere along the line, and I am uncertain where it should be.

Now, here's the kicker that makes it difficult for me: I can't hear well, and I use a cochlear implant. So I can't just listen to the intonation and set it by ear. I use an electronic tuner to tune the strings. Could I use that in any way? Or should I measure from the nut to the octave and just double the distance to the saddle?

Any help will be appreciated. [cool]

I see that floating bridges have been discussed here a few times but not quite on the issue I have.

I use an electronic tuner to tune the strings. Could I use that in any way? Or should I measure from the nut to the octave and just double the distance to the saddle?

Any help will be appreciated. [cool]

I would measure the nut to the octave and double it to get the general position of the bridge, and then use the tuner to fine tune the position of the bridge and its angle for the intonation (everything should be in tune when each string is struck open, and again at the twelfth fret, give or take a smidge). You may have to losen the strings and tune up again a few times to get it right. On many archtops, the tradition is that the bridge is positioned at the widest point of the f-hole, but it varies from model and factory, so that's another starting point.

I would definitely get rid of the foam, while you're at it.

When you're done, mark the position with a pencil line so you can repoition the bridge again in case it slips, or moves during a string change.

Good luck,

Red 333

Thanks, Red. I just changed the strings so I'll loosen 'em a bit and pull out the foam, and then give your method a try. I'll ask my partner (who has ****ears!!!****) to double check how I'm doing once she gets home from her trip.

The shop left a foam strip under the bridge when it sent it out the door with me. So' date=' it moves rather easily. I first need to know what the tricks are to keep it from moving around, and second . . . is there an easy way to figure out where it should be set? The darn thing slid somewhere along the line, and I am uncertain where it should be.

Now, here's the kicker that makes it difficult for me: I can't hear well, and I use a cochlear implant. So I can't just listen to the intonation and set it by ear. I use an electronic tuner to tune the strings. Could I use that in any way? Or should I measure from the nut to the octave and just double the distance to the saddle?

Any help will be appreciated. [cool

You know a decent tech??? Have him set it up for you and then pin the bridge. Once he pins the bridge, it won't move even if you strum really hard, and if you do remove it when you change strings, you'll know precisely where it goes.

Gretsch pins most of their floating bridges on modern models, here's an example:

Factory%20bridge%20pin%20I.jpg

Two small studs in the body with matching holes in the bottom of the base of the bridge, that's it. No more worries...

Archived