Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing EMGs

musicislife

I'm having problems locating the correct active EMG's to replace the passive ones in my five-string Spirit. I've read lots of info on four-stringers, but can't find which ones fit inside the surrounds of my five-string. The ones that I think might fit have only two mounting screws. The ones currently in my bass have three. Does EMG sell surrounds that go with the pickups?

Any help with specific model numbers would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I have a XZ25 and did just that.

I took EMG P35 (2 pieces) and EMG BTC (tonekontrol)

Then I had to go to an instrument maker that had to make room for the new pickups.

It works great and sounds lika an XQ25.

I think they did it this way, to make it very hard to upgrade the bass . . .

good luck

Another way could be to just buy the EMG BTC (which I intend to do on my second bass) and use the original pickups

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking for information on how to convert my 4-string Spirit into active.

I've 'heard' there is a way using the same old pickups, and, of course, another way, replacing them with active pickups -which are a bit longer and need some careful work.

I imagine I'll also need to make room for the 9V battery on the back, so I may have to carve out a rectangular hole and put a cover on it.

EMG shows individual active pickups and a circuit with only TWO controls. I wonder how this can match 2 pickups with THREE controls on the bass guitar...

Will welcome suggestions, links, etc.

I wired my EMG active pickups just like diagram 2 on page 2 of this: http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-PJ-Models.pdf

I know the diagram is for a PJ model, but this is how I wired it. The pickups come with both a volume and tone control, but I wired both pickups to one tone control.

I was able to fit a single 9V battery in the same cavity as the volume and tone controls. The hardest part of converting to active was drilling out the hole for EMG's 1/4" phone jack. It's not the same type as what comes in the Spirit. You have to enlarge the hole from the inside.

• 8 months later...

Thank you, Musicislife,

I am now looking for a BTC Control, which costs around USD80 in the US and double that in Argentina...

How did you go about widening the hole from the inside for the 'active' jack that comes with the BTC?

javascript:insertsmiley('[confused] ','/images/emoticons/msp_confused.gif')

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but my Spirit-like modification (of a Cort into a fretless) meant taking the EMG-sized pickups (non-active) and replacing them with active pickups from Bartolini... which are just extraordinary.

They can do some remarkable active pickups for Steinberger. I believe you can still get on the phone and describe the dimension of your EMG's and they'll do a one-for-one replacement with active EQ, perhaps with tailored response or sound if you wish to invest.

http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s.htm

It was a slow process, using a combination of x-acto knife and

a sharpened screwdriver blade to scrape out the wood. Fortunately,

the wood isn't very dense. It isn't pretty, but it worked and you

can't tell from the outside.

Sounds kinda familiar to stuff I've done

long ago ... long before I dicovered the

small Dremel power tool :-)

Even if you have only one job in mind

for the Dremel, and so you hesitate to

buy it, there's two things to consider:

A. Damage you might do using crude

tools can cost more than the Dremel.

B. Once you own it, you discover you

really do have more than one job for it.

`

Archived