Gibson Brands Forums

Solo Jazz Piece

Bruce_09

Hey Cats,

I'm studying a diploma in music at the moment and I have to prepare a recital for the end of the year.

I need to play three contrasting songs... I think I've got two of them figured out, but I want to include a solo piece. I want it to be jazzy and something chord based, but with melodies here and there...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

pippy, Joe Pass is an excellent example! Bravo! But Joe was the best in class playing the 'walking bass' through chords, not the most easiest part of playing jazz guitar.

If I can add something, why not take a jazz standard with a highly recognisable tune like "All the things you are". It makes your playing easier because the melody is so straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWa6aChSf1w

If you want more chords in it, watch this!(Bireli Lagrene & Philip Catherine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCRUkd4EocY&feature=player_embedded

Joe Pass is quite the legend. I'm intimidated and inspired at the time when I watch him. I've got until December. I'd like to find some sheet music/tabs for 'All The Things You Are.' That's a nice one.

That video of 'How High The Moon' is excellent! From what I read in the description that's the dude's own version of it which is a mash of some other stuff. I'm pretty new to this whole Jazz thing. . I'm learning pretty quickly that you can hear the same song interpreted in twenty different ways.

On the topic, do you guys have any good outlets for free online sheet music for Joe Pass and other Jazz standards?

Joe Pass is quite the legend. I'm intimidated and inspired at the time when I watch him. I've got until December. I'd like to find some sheet music/tabs for 'All The Things You Are.' That's a nice one.

That video of 'How High The Moon' is excellent! From what I read in the description that's the dude's own version of it which is a mash of some other stuff. I'm pretty new to this whole Jazz thing. . I'm learning pretty quickly that you can hear the same song interpreted in twenty different ways.

On the topic, do you guys have any good outlets for free online sheet music for Joe Pass and other Jazz standards?

Hey Bruce, I have some great news for you...I have a lead sheet for "All The Things You Are." I can scan it in for you tomorrow and post a link to it in this thread.

I think it's a great piece, and it would be a great piece to use for a recital--it's recognizable and appealing, and can be performed with a great degree of flexibility. Then again, that's jazz for ya!

Other suggestions I'd have are "All Of Me" (G. Marks/S. Simons), "Out Of Nowhere" (J. Green,) and "Autumn Leaves" (J. Kosma).

Best of luck to you, man!

Hi, yes, it is an addictive version isn't it. I'm not into the Jazz thing, but i'm hooked on that guys version.

As an aside guys, how do you post the video on the page, I only managed a hyperlink rather than the video itself, is there a quick way to do this? Thanks.

Hey Bruce, I have some great news for you...I have a lead sheet for "All The Things You Are." I can scan it in for you tomorrow and post a link to it in this thread.

I think it's a great piece, and it would be a great piece to use for a recital--it's recognizable and appealing, and can be performed with a great degree of flexibility. Then again, that's jazz for ya!

Other suggestions I'd have are "All Of Me" (G. Marks/S. Simons), "Out Of Nowhere" (J. Green,) and "Autumn Leaves" (J. Kosma).

Best of luck to you, man!

That would be fantastic! Thank you so much!

I'm familiar with 'Autumn Leaves.' I'll have to check out those other ones. Are these what you would call 'Jazz Standards' ?

Archived