Gibson Brands Forums

J-180 Everly Artist White

CWBYALL

It is a very, very cool guitar. I like the small guard. Isn't there one like this pictured in the Fabulous Flat Tops book? I'll check mine. Yes, there is a picture on page 144 with the caption; Gibson/Montana Division president Larry English and a Gibson J-180 Artist. I knew I had seen one.

I bought a 1963 black Everly Brothers in a pawn shop in 1978, I sold it a few years later when I needed money. In 1979 I bought what I call the last Gibson Everly Brothers in a guitar shop in Chicago. They were out of production at that time. They found the guitar in a back room at the factory. Gruhn latter sold a couple of black ones from that same year, mine is natural top with black back and sides. He said they made a handful, but there was an issue using the brother's name so they were not produced for the market. I also have two large Gibson guards that go with the guitar. I also have a set of original small guards I bought from Elderly in the late 70s.

I've owned a lot of guitars, but one that I couldn't buy was a beat, but sweet early 60s EB with natural top and red back and sides, they are rare. This guitar had very little finish left on it, but it sounded and played great. I would like to find it, but that was probably 15-20 years ago.

I agree that the sunburst in the other thread is exceedingly cool. I bid on one a few years back on ebay, but didn't get it.

Your guitar is cool and rare. Post more pics if you have them.

Terry

The original EBs, at least the couple I tried out, while cool looking were not the best sounding Gibsons I had ever run across.

I think Ike's bridge design might just might have a shot at winning the Tone-Killing Bridge On An Otherwise Nice Gibson Acoustic competition, despite some pretty formidable competition: the justly reviled '63 bolt-on plastic J-45 bridge, the original Dove bridge with Tune-o-matic, the '30s SJ-200 bridges with individual saddles, etc. (The much-maligned adjustable saddle bridges aren't even in the running, IMHO.)

-- Bob

Archived