Gibson Brands Forums

Info on EPI D-12

TheDude

Hi! I'm new here,so i don't know if anyone has ever started a topic about this but i'd like to have some information about this guitar that i own. I don't know much about this,except that it has been built between 1979 and 1981 in Taiwan. I know a little about the Norlin years but if anyone here could tell me more...please do!

I got some pictures :

EPI D-12

Headstock

Serial number

Maybe i shouldn't be talking about this guitar on here for some reasons,but i figured i could get more info on this forum (and excuse the poor english)

Hey Dude.

This is the exactly correct place to post this. In 1979, Norlin, the then owner of Gibson, Epiphone and other brands, moved Epiphone production from Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA to Japan.

We see some "Epi" branded models showing up here from time to time. I don't know a lot about them, other than they are another Epiphone derivative.

Thanks for showing a clear picture of the label. This type of label, larger and squarer than the earlier blue label, A label of this type was used on later Japanese, Matsumoku made 'Epiphones'. Epiphone Marketing operations moved to Lincolnwood, Illinois, USA in about 1975. So we may deduce from this that this 'Epi' label places this Taiwanese guitar in the mid to late 1970's

Where are you and this Epi?

The label you show appears to have a hump in the middle of it. This usually means the label is affixed over an vertical brace which holds the splice of a two piece back. If you could zoom out we could see if this guitar has a two piece back. Or, can we see a picture of the back.

If this has a two piece back, this would indicate it is a more expensive model. Most cheaper guitars have a one piece back without the vertical brace.

Could you get us a couple more detail pictures?

Read the "A Brief Epiphone History" thread I just created. There is a notation at the 1983 time frame that some Epiphones are being made in Taiwan and Indonesia. He is not real specific as to whether this is the beginning of production in the South Pacific. This could put the beginning of the 'Epi' line as late as 1983. In 1985 or 1986, the Gibson Guitar Corp. we know today was formed. This MIGHT indicate the end of this brand.

For all intents and purposes, it appears to be a re-branded Epiphone FT145. While it is possible yours is a 1979 / 1981 year of manufacture, I'm guessing it is newer than that. That is just a hunch, based on the tuners and label. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say no older than 1975 to mid-1980s.

Could you get us a picture of the guitar's back?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Me and this Epi are in France. My brother bought it from some guy 6-7 years ago,then i lent it to a friend who kept it for 4 years and just got it back in april. I had the bridge changed and some other work but i'm very happy with this guitar.

I just did some other pictures so you can see exactly what it is like :

Back

Back 2

Neck

Hope this will help you.

Do you have any idea of its value? (not that i wanna sell it,but it's always good to know)

Until I saw this D-12 do a turn about, I always thought the 'Epi' was a bargain basement Epiphone. Not the case. This appears to be an upscale model with a beautiful 'Zippered' back that brings back memories of Jadzia Dax.

Sweet! [thumbup]

As far as value... whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Assuming that this is akin to an upscale Epiphone FT or even a PR model,... possibly $200 - $300. Depending on condition of it and the case.

• 1 year later...

Until I saw this D-12 do a turn about, I always thought the 'Epi' was a bargain basement Epiphone. Not the case. This appears to be an upscale model with a beautiful 'Zippered' back that brings back memories of Jadzia Dax.

Sweet! [thumbup]

As far as value... whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Assuming that this is akin to an upscale Epiphone FT or even a PR model,... possibly $200 - $300. Depending on condition of it and the case.

I have this same Epi D-12. The serial is 3901490, so I imagine it is a little older. The guy I bought it from said it was a 1972, but that seems a little older than it probably is. It is in perfect shape also. Just a beautiful old guitar really. Has a great sound as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This wiki is created by some members here on the board (RTH and Sjael)

Maybe he didn't find any pics, yet...

He sure will add your information

Oh, and welcome here [thumbup]

I have been looking at a similar guitar for sale locally, but the tuners are quite different than those shown in any of the pictures I have seen. Can anyone give me more information on this one?

post-38919-071065500 1326734641_thumb.jpg

post-38919-013755300 1326734652_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

Just wanted to check in. I have an RPI D-12 as well. Bought it in ‘79/‘80? First lay away purchase as a teen. Still have it almost 40yrs later. It is my main player. Love the rich tones of it. 

I also have an Epiphone FT-160 MPL? (12 sting). And a Yamaha APX500 III. The Yamaha was a deep sale item and is a/e. My wife uses it more due to the thinner body.

Anyway, back to the D-12. I love it. It holds tuning quite well, and has held up decently over the years. It has a couple of minor scratches, but for 40 yr guitar, I just chalk it up to character. E72FF170-B20F-4D18-B54F-E3029BEBC717.thumb.jpeg.7d70a8f7d90d339a90ed8e3a2231e70a.jpeg9B6C427F-FC97-461A-95B2-066B936867DD.thumb.jpeg.709c6ef54313adcdd0583b41616312a1.jpeg54460937-8D12-473F-A063-BE05E393737C.thumb.jpeg.1b9996f4604f4287f6c1cfce159f32fc.jpeg8AFD807D-AAAC-47C1-B97E-A07B223B4805.thumb.jpeg.bdbc7c17894759aab44300be8d75a2e1.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Hello from New York, to all.Great thread with some very useful information on the Epi D -12.  I own a D-12 Epi also. Great sounding guitar and fun to play. It is a quality build and is very well put together. Thinking of moving it because I don’t have room for all of my guitars. I will attach some pictures.