Gibson Brands Forums

So-Cal 50

hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has tryed any of these BC30 mods on a so-cal 50? I looking at them side by side and thair is little diffirance 1)The BC's tube And the So-Cal's ss. power suply 2) the power tubes anyway let me know. I'm going to try the cap5 cut this afternoon. I'll see what happens

hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has tryed any of these BC30 mods on a so-cal 50? I looking at them side by side and thair is little diffirance 1)The BC's tube And the So-Cal's ss. power suply 2) the power tubes anyway let me know. I'm going to try the cap5 cut this afternoon. I'll see what happens

No, I have not been brave enough to try any of them on my So Cal 50 yet but I've been on these boards for over a year now and a few So Cal owners have talked about doing them but never seem to return with any results!!! Also the BC30 guys don't seem to reply very often when you ask them if they think their mods could be done on the So Cal.

I am very curious as to what difference they'd make, especially the cap5 & cap6 (I think that was right) mods as the So Cal can be pretty bright sounding, particularly the clean channel. Please let me know what the result is if you do the mod!!!

Hello Jesus thankyou for your reply Well I get To say it did something , both caps were tomuch I put c5 back Haven't had a chance to give it a good workout yet. But tomarrow is saterday and my wiffy works so I'll post more tomarrow

well it sounds pretty good. as long as I stand 15 feet away form the amp. now I've got to sheld the picup cavity. I have a DOT Sdudio and the 335 styl pron. to feedback I'll proble have to get coverd picups too but the SO-CAL is in good shape . I'll just have to use my peavy for tight places good luck

well it sounds pretty good. as long as I stand 15 feet away form the amp. now I've got to sheld the picup cavity. I have a DOT Sdudio and the 335 styl pron. to feedback I'll proble have to get coverd picups too but the SO-CAL is in good shape . I'll just have to use my peavy for tight places good luck

So did you just cut the c6 cap and kept the c5 or did you leave both cut?

I unsoider both but put c5 back I'm know it is differant for single coils and humbuckers but for me just 6c was good

This is what happens, guys come on here asking about the So Cal 50/BC 30 mods, do them, & then never come back to update the results or if they do come back then they aren't clear about what differences, if any, the mod makes on the So Cal. I am not brave or knowledgeable enough to try the mod on my So Cal but if I had a clearer idea of the difference it'd make I might give it a shot. Until then I'll read incomplete posts about others doing it...

well 'm back. And after a 600 mile road trip and 4 shows I can say that the amp is great for me . it took out all of that glass braking high end ,smothed out this amp very miceiey In my oppinion If you you run singel coil remove boath c5 and c6 if you run humbuckers juct c5 shoud work miceiy

well 'm back. And after a 600 mile road trip and 4 shows I can say that the amp is great for me . it took out all of that glass braking high end ,smothed out this amp very miceiey In my oppinion If you you run singel coil remove boath c5 and c6 if you run humbuckers juct c5 shoud work miceiy

Sweet, TY for the reply. Sorry if I sounded frustrated in my previous reply.

I use BOTH a Strat & Les Paul thru my So Cal, I usually just max out the bass control when I use the strat & back it off to approx 3/4 when I use the Paul. So I think I'd probably have to go with the c5 cap mod only.

I also rarely ever turn the presence & treble over 50%, usually around 11:00. I also keep my Mid control about 10-11:00. It sounds better on the clean channel that way & with the contour knob at 100% it adds the mids back to the dirty channel.

I also use a 12AT7 in the PI slot instead of a 12AX7. It takes a tad bit ( a very tiny tad, LOL) of gain away from the dirty channel but adds a little more "presence", not in a bright way but just more "alive" sounding if that makes sense.

I might get brave & attempt this mod in the near future, I'm just worried about the draining the caps issue as well as getting it apart & back together again without breaking it, my computer never recovered when I tried "modding" it, LOL

BTW, I'm in the Tampa area, Pasco County to be exact. I play in a band called LOSTNFOUND. Are you in a band, you mentioned gigging with the amp?

I'm not with anyone , just friends and famly . I do play out 5 or 6 times a year . I set in for sevrel differant local bands from time to time. I worked for about 15 years doing sound and building light shows for bands. now Im to darn old for the road and the clubs. Last weekend was a famley thing in south carlina, we did 1 show fr. night 2shows sat. and 1 sunday . and wore my but out . It was a lot of fun getting to jam with everyone thow . I do have my own P.A. my dot studio has a Baggs T bridge for accu. sound with 2 Channel out put to 2 amps A fender accu. and my So-Cal I use a peavey MSDI and run it straght to the board the fender has a line out for the same thing so I guess I have a 500 whatt rig. that way I bulit my own pedle board I didnt like any thing I saw out thair . so the left half is for ele. right half has tuner and accu. I tryed to upload pics but it said the file was to big!!! I do all my own work My dot was a locking nut, baggs accu. bridg. gibson TP6 fine tuneing tailpiece I added a tone pot and black ice overdrive { old school } and Vol. for Accu. So I have 4 controls And can be both at once so ti sounds like 2 Git. at the same time.

Archived