Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer Pots

Tony L

I'm doing a bit of a restoration/rebuild of a '76 reissue Explorer and I need to replace the pots but having had a look around various web sites however I now don't know what size pot stem i need, long or short?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, the lenght of the threds from the base to the hatched knob holder?

Been a while since I've re-wired my Explorer. They use the CTS short shaft pots. Trying to remember I believe the volume pots were 300k and the tone pot was 100k but not positive. I just re-wired my Strat with all three 500k cts pots, and wired it like the Explorer with two volume & one tone. Pretty easy to do.

My 2008 Explorer uses "short shaft" pots, I doubt anything longer would fit the depth of the cavity based on the thickness of those bodies.

I highly recommend the "volume super pot" from RSGuitarWorks.net, best quality and taper.

Been a while since I've re-wired my Explorer. They use the CTS short shaft pots. Trying to remember I believe the volume pots were 300k and the tone pot was 100k but not positive. I just re-wired my Strat with all three 500k cts pots, and wired it like the Explorer with two volume & one tone. Pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the advice, I was planning on putting 500k pots in myself and seeing as I'm new to this building merlarky me's thinks there'll be a few more posts with questions in.

Cheers.

This I rewired with all 500k CTS pots. Also added the 57 Classic's with 1972 embossed covers, black beauty NOS .022 400v cap and Graphtech saddles. My #1 player, lightweight and amazing tone.

05exp01.jpg

05exp01.jpg

That's one lovely axe, just started to strip the finish of my project and the colour is almost the same, may have to rethink the end result after seeing yours. I was thinking of putting EMG\s 60 & 81 pots in with 500k CTS pots see how that comes out.

Archived