Gibson Brands Forums

J-160 Gibson 1954 Restoration Parts

bdpgibson

New member here... need some guidance on a restoration project. I have an old '54 J-160. It is extremely beat up, and some may consider it ugly - due to its condition - but, I think it has character. Unfortunately, all of the original parts are gone, so I am searching for replacement parts. I want to purchase high quality replacement parts (that fit the existing holes) in order to play the guitar, and at the same time keep it period correct (vintage parts - but not actually made in 1954). Does anyone know what this guitar was fitted with? eusa_think.gif I know it came with Kluson tuners, but what type were they? And what type of knobs (speed, bell, bonnet : gold, amber) were on these guitars? Also, what type of pick up cover did it have (it's very unusual)? Truss rod cover (all black, w/ or w/out white trim)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New member here... need some guidance on a restoration project. I have an old '54 J-160. It is extremely beat up' date=' and some may consider it ugly - due to its condition - but, I think it has character. Unfortunately, all of the original parts are gone, so I am searching for replacement parts. I want to purchase high quality replacement parts (that fit the existing holes) in order to play the guitar, and at the same time keep it period correct (vintage parts - but not actually made in 1954). Does anyone know what this guitar was fitted with? :-k I know it came with Kluson tuners, but what type were they? And what type of knobs (speed, bell, bonnet : gold, amber) were on these guitars? Also, what type of pick up cover did it have (it's very unusual)? Truss rod cover (all black, w/ or w/out white trim)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Gold bonnet knobs, all black TR cover, Les Paul neck inlays, and Tulip Klusons (one ring). The pick up is located below the top with only the pole pieces coming thru - on this side a little piece of black plastic with a peak towards the sound hole is fixes with two small mounting screws. Take a look at a John Lennon signature here - http://www.guitarsale.com/Product/ZoomImage.aspx?sku=229832&index=2

Archived