Gibson Brands Forums

Sonex question

gabriel802

Ive been looking for something with more sustain than my SG and i came across the GIBSON SONEX line from the early '80s. Can anyone vouch for the "Multi-phonic" body construction (wood core, resin outer layer)? I'm curious to hear if it's worth owning or if it should stay lost in the '80s. :)

post-25327-053481800 1283457886_thumb.jpg

My friend has one and loves it. I've played it a few times it's not as bad as the internet makes it out to be IMHO. It's not a Les Paul with regards to sustain but I thought it was pretty good. Not sure how it would compare with an SG with regards to sustain though. The Sonex has high gain pickups so that may help.

speaking of pickups, i was also thinking of upgrading mine , any suggestions for something with good gain and sustain?

I had a Sonex back in the day- it's a great little guitar- had a good tone- cut through the mix really well, and as for pickups, those are some of the hottest Gibson made, I think they were called Velvet Brick? Real close to the legendary Dirty Fingers pickups, or, that may have been what they really were.

I had a Sonex back in the day- it's a great little guitar- had a good tone- cut through the mix really well, and as for pickups, those are some of the hottest Gibson made, I think they were called Velvet Brick? Real close to the legendary Dirty Fingers pickups, or, that may have been what they really were.

i think most of them came with the Dirty Fingers and that's a hot pup.

speaking of pickups, i was also thinking of upgrading mine , any suggestions for something with good gain and sustain?

depends on if you want Gibson pups, or after market, the Tonni Iommi's are pretty bad ***, but so are the DiMarzio X2N's, and Seymore Invaders, then there are the usual actives, like EMG's. But higher output pups dont transfer as much of the guitars tone, and the same with high gain amp settings, the gain levels tend to wash the sound a bit. Just depends on the music you're playing, and how you what you hear in your head, to sound in your ears. Good luck on the search, Raven

Archived