Gibson Brands Forums

Who can tell me what model Gibson based this design on

patemuseart

My parents bought a Gibson For me in 1968 #896879. Gibson was contracted to custom design a guitar especially for Sherman Clay for their 100 anniversary. The base design looks like an L-1, LG-1 or a blue ridge. It is in excellent condition. The top is of solid spruce, solid mahogany neck and sides and the bottom is mahogany veneer with a Brazilian rosewood finger board and bridge, not plastic. The label reads "Gibson Guitar Co. made expressly for Sherman Clay since 1869 Centennial model. I can not find ant information on this model. The body measures 19" long,

4 1/4" deep and 14 1/4" wide at the hip. What do you know about this design?

A guitar shop offered me $500.00 for it. What would they turn around and sell it for?

go to:

http://www.msnusers.com/gibsonguitar/_homepage.msnw

and click on pictures

My parents bought a Gibson For me in 1968 #896879. Gibson was contracted to custom design a guitar especially for Sherman Clay for their 100 anniversary. The base design looks like an L-1' date=' LG-1 or a blue ridge. It is in excellent condition. The top is of solid spruce, solid mahogany neck and sides and the bottom is mahogany veneer with a Brazilian rosewood finger board and bridge, not plastic. The label reads "Gibson Guitar Co. made expressly for Sherman Clay since 1869 Centennial model. I can not find ant information on this model. The body measures 19" long,

4 1/4" deep and 14 1/4" wide at the hip. What do you know about this design?

A guitar shop offered me $500.00 for it. What would they turn around and sell it for?

go to:

http://www.msnusers.com/gibsonguitar/_homepage.msnw

and click on pictures[/quote']

Pictures are of bad quality (sorry) and taken from angles that makes it difficult to see the actual proportions of the body... but it looks whatsoever like a round shouldered J-45 - but with non expensive finish and missing head stock holy wood veneer (firebrand style). The original J-45 (from certain years) also had solid top and sides and laminated back (a concept used for the electric J-160E as well) and an adjustable bridge. It's impossible to tell how much it's worth - but if a guitar shop offer say 500 for it then they probably calculate to sell again for maybe the double of that... I would keep it and play. It looks nice even with it's inexpensive ornamentation. How does it actually sound???

Archived