Gibson Brands Forums

j 185 question

wilconorth

While I have never used a measurement to set action, after the last saddle sanding on my 165 I did drop a machinist's rule at the 12th and, with the help of a magnifying glass, read 5/64ths. I have always done action adjustments by eyeball and feel. Looks and feels a bit high? Sand the saddle and restring it for another look. As I approach what feels right I make the sanding sessions much shorter.

Hy Guys,

Sorry to hijack this this thread for a moment, but I got to say I saw the Diamonds in the Rough video link at the end of Buc Macmaster,s comment and had a look. Wonderfull stuff there Buc, Wish you every sucsess in your songwriting mate, thanks for shareing.

Terry (Bosun)

Hi guys...could you tell what height(at the 12th fret)your strings are set at.I'm thinking of lowering the action and I still have the factory settings

thanks

Hi Wilconorth,

I bought my J-185 EC Rosewood in Feb. 2009 and found that the action was set too high for me, even though it met the factory specs. I took it to a professional guitar tech who lowered the action significantly to my liking. I just measured the guitar just now, and it measures about 3 mm between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the 6th string, and 2 mm to the 1st string. It plays like a dream. Hope that helps,

Sandy

I always set my low E string @ 3/32" and the high E string at 5/64". Often factory settings for the nut are high so that players can adjust the string height to their preference AND so that guitar will not buzz right out of the box. I ALWAYS set the relief in the neck before adjusting the height of the saddle....good luck, hope you dial it in to your perfect feel and style....

Archived