Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone strat with pointed headstock ?

Mr.V.

I have a red strat shaped Epiphone guitar.

It has one humbucker and two single coil pick ups with a Floyd Rose bridge unit and locking top nut.

The guitar is strat shaped with a red painted - pointed headstock.

Can anyone tell me what model this guitar is. and whether there is anywhere that can still supply the bits for me to renovate this instrument !

It has one humbucker and two single coil pick ups with a Floyd Rose bridge unit and locking top nut.

Can anyone tell me what model this guitar is. and whether there is anywhere that can still supply the bits for me to renovate this instrument !

Pointy headstock probably indicates 1986 - 1987, check out this page for info on the S-series. I think RTH is the resident expert on these models.

Go here Epi

Post what you post here, done.

Hi Dem00n. Weird seeing you in here. You know how us Epi guys are...[rolleyes][flapper]

Pointy headstock probably indicates 1986 - 1987

Indeed it is. The headstocks were rounded off in 1988 to the explorer shape.

Well, it could be a few different models. I need a few more details to determine exactly what it is. Got any pics?

With the info you gave me, it could be anything from an S-400 up to a 635i.

Does it have a pickguard?

Is the fretboard maple or rosewood?

What type of fret markers does it have? Where are they located?

Does it have a typical strat type body or is it a carved top?

Does it have open coil or covered pickups?

Answering those questions will help, but pics would be best. You can look at the link in my signature to help determine the model as well. So far it could be an S-400, 500, 600, 800, 900, 435i or 635i.

I just bought a metallic black S800 for $99 at GC! Thanks to RTH for that site that helped me identify my model. After some cleaning the guitar looks gorgeous and plays nice. But I have been unsuccessful in locating a specific part for this guitar. One of the thumb screws that secure the strings at the nut is hex instead of the original slot type. Mine has the Steinberger KB tremolo. I've googled and searched the usual suspects(e.g.- All Parts) but all they have are hex screws.

As far as I know, the hex screws were the originals. I've never seen a slot-type on these guitars. Unfortunately, the Epiphone locknuts are smaller than a typical Floyd style locknut. I cant remember if the screws will fit or not. Your best bet is to take whichever screws you want to use - be it the slot or hex - and go to a hardware store and try to match it up with what they have there.

The locking screws are probably the easiest part to replace on the entire tremolo/locknut system. I know that an aftermarket Floyd-style locknut assembly wont line up with the mounting holes correctly, so dont go that route unless you want the locknut to be held on with only one screw.

I didnt post here it got moved. [lol]

Oh now im posting here...i might be one of you guys if i find out how much that epi nighthawk is. [wub]

I saw that it was a moved thread after I posted. Its all good [thumbup]

Good luck with the Nighthawk. Epiphones are good guitars for the price, and considering you understand thier limitations.

Gibson makes a Nighthawk too. You probably know that.

As far as I know, the hex screws were the originals. I've never seen a slot-type on these guitars. Unfortunately, the Epiphone locknuts are smaller than a typical Floyd style locknut. I cant remember if the screws will fit or not. Your best bet is to take whichever screws you want to use - be it the slot or hex - and go to a hardware store and try to match it up with what they have there.

The locking screws are probably the easiest part to replace on the entire tremolo/locknut system. I know that an aftermarket Floyd-style locknut assembly wont line up with the mounting holes correctly, so dont go that route unless you want the locknut to be held on with only one screw.

You're right.(see attachment- mine was much cleaner than that!) Who ever owned it before must have put some aftermarket screws on there. But it makes the guitar look much more refined too. More like an instrument than some type of industrial machinery. And they work great because you can use a coin to tighten them. I'll try and post a pic of mine when I get home. Any idea what this guitar could be worth? I'm not selling it but I would just like to know.

200804_guitartreasure_1.jpg

You're right.(see attachment- mine was much cleaner than that!) Who ever owned it before must have put some aftermarket screws on there. But it makes the guitar look much more refined too. More like an instrument than some type of industrial machinery. And they work great because you can use a coin to tighten them. I'll try and post a pic of mine when I get home. Any idea what this guitar could be worth? I'm not selling it but I would just like to know.

Id say that in perfect condition, you could get about $200 for it. Probably an average of $150. Either way, it seems that you got a good deal when you purchased it.

I would love to see pics of it. Yes!

Archived