Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II questions/ which to buy?

musical5

Hi,

1st post here. I am looking at 2 different Sheraton II's. One had a sticker with the serial number and the others serial number starts with "I". Mu understanding is that the "I" is a Korean made. Is this correct? What's with the sticker serial? They both used Grover tuners. There is a signifigant weight difference between the 2(the "I" being much heavier) It was retrofitted with a floating tremolo, which I'm not doing back flips over, and I will probably just remove the bar. The other has been upgraded with a Gibson bridge and 57 pups. There is almost a $200 difference between them. Here is a pic of the heavier "I" with the funky trem. I should mention the Sheraton with the sticker serial has had the sticker removed, so I have no idea what it is.

Thanks,

Justin

post-25535-046513000 1284081980_thumb.jpg

Hi,

1st post here. I am looking at 2 different Sheraton II's. One had a sticker with the serial number and the others serial number starts with "I". Mu understanding is that the "I" is a Korean made. Is this correct? What's with the sticker serial? They both used Grover tuners. There is a signifigant weight difference between the 2(the "I" being much heavier) It was retrofitted with a floating tremolo, which I'm not doing back flips over, and I will probably just remove the bar. The other has been upgraded with a Gibson bridge and 57 pups. There is almost a $200 difference between them. Here is a pic of the heavier "I" with the funky trem. I should mention the Sheraton with the sticker serial has had the sticker removed, so I have no idea what it is.

Thanks,

Justin

Early Korean Sheratons made by Samick (approximately 1986 - 1990) had serial #s on a stickers. At that time, Samick made nearly all the Epiphones. Around 1993, Epi contracted with several other Korean factories and factory codes were added to the serial #s to distinguish them. I had several Samick Sherrys, they were all very good. I is Saien (Shine guitars), also Korean and very well made guitars.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Justin

Why are some Les Pauls 8 pounds and others over 10 pounds??? No two guitars are identical. Maybe the wood's a little denser on one, maybe one has a larger center block since they're made at different factories, who can say for sure... Take all the factors into consideration and choose the one you like. If they're equal, but the one that's $200 less.

Thanks. I just thought maybe there was a change in design at some point, or something like that.

Justin

The neck profiles have changed on some of the newer ones, but both of the ones you're looking at should have the older style. The back of the neck should be 3 piece maple with 2 darker wood stripes like this:

N_sher9.jpg

Just throwing my $.02 in as a Sheraton owner. Considering the price difference in these two of $200, I would really consider whether the upgrades are worth it. If YOU personally wouldn't spend $200 on THOSE EXACT upgrades, I wouldn't do it. My Sheraton is completely stock and I love it. Just some food for thought.

Just throwing my $.02 in as a Sheraton owner. Considering the price difference in these two of $200, I would really consider whether the upgrades are worth it. If YOU personally wouldn't spend $200 on THOSE EXACT upgrades, I wouldn't do it. My Sheraton is completely stock and I love it. Just some food for thought.

I think one has the upgraded trem and the other has upgraded pickups & bridge.

The heavy trem one.

Justin

So this is the dilemma, you want to buy the cheaper one, but you feel it's uncomfortably heavy.

Saien - Don't like the weight, don't want the vibrola, but you like the price.

Samick - Good weight & balance, nice upgraded pickups, too much money.

The thing you don't mention is how they play and how they sound. Is one a superior player??? What condition are they in??? Both have cases??? These are all part of the decision making process.

Can I ask you what they're asking for them??? Are they from a store, or are they personal sales??? Do you think you can get the guy with the Samick to come down in price if you use the other one as leverage. Man, I like yours but I saw this other one for $200 less. And it has this really cool Maestro Vibrola on it!!! If you got him down $100 bucks, would that be the deal maker for you???

Since I can't personally check them out, I can't advise you which one to buy. What I can tell you is don't buy a guitar you don't like.

Good luck...

Thanks for the help House.

The Samick plays and sounds better (includes case). It is consigned in my buddys music store for $575.00 (firm, with case) The Saien is $400.00, at a pawnshop. I think it needs a setup. My fear is that once it's setup I still wont like the way it plays.

Justin

So this is the dilemma, you want to buy the cheaper one, but you feel it's uncomfortably heavy.

Saien - Don't like the weight, don't want the vibrola, but you like the price.

Samick - Good weight & balance, nice upgraded pickups, too much money.

The thing you don't mention is how they play and how they sound. Is one a superior player??? What condition are they in??? Both have cases??? These are all part of the decision making process.

Can I ask you what they're asking for them??? Are they from a store, or are they personal sales??? Do you think you can get the guy with the Samick to come down in price if you use the other one as leverage. Man, I like yours but I saw this other one for $200 less. And it has this really cool Maestro Vibrola on it!!! If you got him down $100 bucks, would that be the deal maker for you???

Since I can't personally check them out, I can't advise you which one to buy. What I can tell you is don't buy a guitar you don't like.

Good luck...

The Samick plays and sounds better (includes case). It is consigned in my buddys music store for $575.00 (firm, with case) The Saien is $400.00, at a pawnshop. I think it needs a setup. My fear is that once it's setup I still wont like the way it plays.

$400 for a Korean Sherry with a Vibrola is tempting...

$575 for the Samick with Gibson Classic '57s is on the high end of the scale BUT look at it this way. If you buy the $400 bargain, get a case for it, and then decide to upgrade the pickups it will end up costing you more than the Samick. Plus you know what you're getting upfront with the Samick. And consider this, if you buy the Saein and it doesn't quite measure up to the Samick, you'll be second guessing your decision every time you play it.

Look at it another way, you can buy a new Sherry for $599 without a case. No doubt in my mind the old Samicks are nicer guitars (I've had 3 of them over the years), plus you're getting the case and Gibby pups, and it's less money.

You can make an argument for either one, but here's my take:

If you can afford the extra $175, get the Samick. It's the guitar you really want, it's set up and ready to go, plays better and sounds better, no hidden problems, no need to spend money for a case or upgrades.

This may be a stupid question, but is the heavier one really a full hollow body? Are you sure it's not a dot? Doesn't a vibrato need some wood to screw into if it was added after the fact?

I could be all wet, but I thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.

I had a line on a chinese made Dot, and I really liked the way it played, but being big AND heavy, sort of put me off. I think I could stomach big, without heavy. Meaning a full hollow. The guy had a Korean made LP, and I think it was lighter than the dot. Either that, or it just FELT that way, because it was smaller.

Just figured that out. Sorry!

What's the difference between the sherton and the dot? Besides the color of the hardware?

Inlays, necks are different construction. Dots have a Mahogany neck while the Sheratons have a 3 piece maple neck. It's actually 5 piece, 3 pieces of maple with 2 strip of darker wood, Walnut if I remember correctly:

N_sher9.jpg

Because of the construction, the Sheraton necks don't have a spliced on headstock and heel. Just an all around better constructed neck.

Just a follow up.... I ended up with the Tremolo sheraton. When I went back and felt the one with the upgraded pups, it turned out these 2 felt the same weight wise. After putting on some fresh 11's on this thing, I am in hog heaven (really wondering if the pups werent upgraded as well! Ended up getting it for $375 out the door. Most versatile guitar I have ever played. I was actually playing around with the idea, during my search, of an Ibanez AS83. Very glad I didnt do that (very screechy pickups IMO). I am curious if anyone knows what make Tremolo was added. Anyone recognize it?

Thanks for the help,

Justin

SANY0722.jpg

SANY0723.jpg

SANY0724.jpg

Inlays, necks are different construction. Dots have a Mahogany neck while the Sheratons have a 3 piece maple neck. It's actually 5 piece, 3 pieces of maple with 2 strip of darker wood, Walnut if I remember correctly:

N_sher9.jpg

Because of the construction, the Sheraton necks don't have a spliced on headstock and heel. Just an all around better constructed neck.

Just figured that out. Sorry!

What's the difference between the sherton and the dot? Besides the color of the hardware?

Sheraton II's have the fancy Tree of Life headstock inlay, seven 3-piece inlays up to the 15th fret, and 3-ply binding all around the body, headstock and sides of the fretboard. Also binding on the f-holes and gold-plated hardware

You bought a nice MIK sherry blondie with what appears to be a no-name floating whammy copy of the type that come with Gibson Firebirds and some SGs.

At $375, you did pretty good IMO, that's about what they go for in private sales. Did it come with a case? If so even better.

The nice thing about that whammy installation is you can revert it back to a hardtail with little or no evidence....

I was hoping to remove the trem bar, but that screw is so tight it wont even budge. Also the serial is kind of weird. It's I06******(too lazy to go get the rest), which according to the sticky would make it a Saein....but built in 06? Could that be right?

Sheraton II's have the fancy Tree of Life headstock inlay, seven 3-piece inlays up to the 15th fret, and 3-ply binding all around the body, headstock and sides of the fretboard. Also binding on the f-holes and gold-plated hardware

You bought a nice MIK sherry blondie with what appears to be a no-name floating whammy copy of the type that come with Gibson Firebirds and some SGs.

At $375, you did pretty good IMO, that's about what they go for in private sales. Did it come with a case? If so even better.

The nice thing about that whammy installation is you can revert it back to a hardtail with little or no evidence....

I was hoping to remove the trem bar, but that screw is so tight it wont even budge. Also the serial is kind of weird. It's I06******(too lazy to go get the rest), which according to the sticky would make it a Saein....but built in 06? Could that be right?

Well whatever you do, don't strip that screw head, you'll never get it off then.

Get the whole serial number and enter it into the Guitar Dater Project to learn it's birthday.

Archived