Gibson Brands Forums

Any Johnny Smith archtop owners out there?

AlanC

I'm about to buy a '69 Johnny Smith archtop with two floating pickups. I'm buying it over the internet which is something I'm very reluctant to do and have never done before.

The photos and write up suggest its in excellent condition. I guess this is a bit of a risk. Adding to the risk is the fact that the neck width at the nut is unlike other Gibsons which are 1 11/16" and this is 1 3/4". Not all that sure but I know a couple of people who own Johnny Smiths and love them.

Any comments from those who own or who have come into contact with a Johnny Smith?

I'm about to buy a '69 Johnny Smith archtop with two floating pickups. I'm buying it over the internet which is something I'm very reluctant to do and have never done before.

The photos and write up suggest its in excellent condition. I guess this is a bit of a risk. Adding to the risk is the fact that the neck width at the nut is unlike other Gibsons which are 1 11/16" and this is 1 3/4". Not all that sure but I know a couple of people who own Johnny Smiths and love them.

Any comments from those who own or who have come into contact with a Johnny Smith?

It could be a beauty Alan...depends how much it costs and would need careful packaging a shipping, you can often get a 'feel' for how genuine the vendor is, why is he selling and how long did he own it, what is the string set-up etc? I've bought lots of guitars over the internet, some expensive ones, and never had a problem so far...Good Luck !!

Archived