Gibson Brands Forums

Question about fret size

cubbiesinger

I think I've decided I'm looking to get an SG. Well, I think. It's at the top of my list right now. But I like my frets low. I have only played a few so far, and don't think I had an issue with the frets on them, but I played mostly epiphones. I played one faded briefly, that was brand new at Guitar Center and thought it was awful. It probably needed a good set up and cleaning, but it felt about as smooth as velcro. Anyways....

Is there a particular model I should be looking for that might have lower profile frets than others? I really am looking for one with P90's, so I guess the "Special" is what I'm looking for, possibly? Does anyone know the size of frets on that particular model? Are they all the same? It seems to me the frets on Gibby's and Epi's seemd to be lower profile than some of the fenders I've looked at and played. But even they vary, because I've owned a few teles that thought the frets weren't bad, but then played others that seemed like they were as tall as buildings.

So anyways, any input or education in this particular subject is much appreciated. And any other comments about being in hunt for an SG. I currently have $700 saved, but I'm hoping to not spend all of that. I know that might be a pipe dream though. I keep squirreling away though, so that will grow. But slowly. Hehehehe. Kids to feed, bills to pay, tires for the car, etc etc, I'm just not made out of money. Typical middle America I guess. But God takes care of us and I am thankful for that.

I think I've decided I'm looking to get an SG. Well, I think. It's at the top of my list right now. But I like my frets low. I have only played a few so far, and don't think I had an issue with the frets on them, but I played mostly epiphones. I played one faded briefly, that was brand new at Guitar Center and thought it was awful. It probably needed a good set up and cleaning, but it felt about as smooth as velcro. Anyways....

Is there a particular model I should be looking for that might have lower profile frets than others? I really am looking for one with P90's, so I guess the "Special" is what I'm looking for, possibly? Does anyone know the size of frets on that particular model? Are they all the same? It seems to me the frets on Gibby's and Epi's seemd to be lower profile than some of the fenders I've looked at and played. But even they vary, because I've owned a few teles that thought the frets weren't bad, but then played others that seemed like they were as tall as buildings.

So anyways, any input or education in this particular subject is much appreciated. And any other comments about being in hunt for an SG. I currently have $700 saved, but I'm hoping to not spend all of that. I know that might be a pipe dream though. I keep squirreling away though, so that will grow. But slowly. Hehehehe. Kids to feed, bills to pay, tires for the car, etc etc, I'm just not made out of money. Typical middle America I guess. But God takes care of us and I am thankful for that.

I think you mean not as high right? IMO you want those high frets more meat on them and will last longer. I have epiphones also and yeah there frets aren't as high but will wear faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I will admit I am no expert and cannot really comment on fret hights as I just dont have that level of experience but as far as the whole SG neck thing goes, dont be put off by a special or special faded in particular as they have very poorly finished necks compared to the standard, classic or higher models.

Also the special doesnt have P90s. You need a classic - better neck, nicely finished and P90 equipped. If I recall correctly I paid around $8 or 900 for my classic new about 2 years ago. Im not sure at the moment if they are in production so you might have to look for a used one.

You will have to try them out.

Imho the newer and higher priced Gibsons have a tendency to lower frets because of the plekking process. The SG61RI from 2010, which I have, has a bit low frets (but not dramatically low), that might please you.

Maybe in the Gibbo factory they do some models plek (with lower frets) and some not (with higher frets), but that may change over time, so you have to check them out. Each individual guitar might have slightly different fret height.

(I'm in the same research for an "ideal" fretboard on Gibson SG's, but me I like higher frets)

Michael

Archived