Gibson Brands Forums

swapping pickups in my les paul classic

lespaul339

I decided to swap out the pickups in my Les Paul Classic. I'm just not a fan of the 500T. I decided to go with the Burstbucker 2 in the bridge position, and a 57 Classic in the neck position. Should be a nice sounding combo. The 500T is just a little too grainy and too hot for my tastes. i just couldn't seem to tame that sound no matter what I did. I have the Burstbuckers in my Les Paul Standard, and love the sound of that guitar, so I know I will be pleased with the outcome.

I put BurstBucker Pros in my Classic about 8 years ago.

I considered the 57 Classic, now I kinda wish I had done that instead.

I have the 57s in a 335 and SG 61, and I absolutely love them.

Better?

Worse?

I dunno.

Like you, all I knew for sure is that I simply couldn't stand the ceramics anymore.

I've toyed with putting a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge, figuring I can always pull it out if I want.

The way I see it, the 57 Plus would be a good pickup to have laying around if something else needs one.

[thumbup]

Yeah, I was kind of torn between going with a 57 Classic or Burstbucker also. I have the 57's in my 339 and love them. Thats why I decided on going with one in the neck on my LP Classic. I think that with the Burstbucker will be a sweet combo.I think I will be happy with my choice, but honestly I would probably be happy with either one in the bridge position. It just boiled down to the fact that I wasn't playing my LP Classic as much as I wanted too because of the pickups that were in it. , As for the guitar itself, it plays and feels great, but it just was way too hot of a sound for me. I was jamming with it at band practice the other night, and that was the final straw. I knew I had to swap those pickups out or I was never going to be happy with the guitar.

Archived