Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Chet Atkins

Quietly

I would be interested if anyone can give me more information about this guitar. I believe it was purchased new in 1999 by the previous owner but there is no serial number on the guitar. I know those made by Samick often had a stick on serial number that mostly got removed. The birds eye maple top is absolutely stunning and I have been told this was a De Luxe version of the SST. I have been unable to find another one that looks the same. Oh the tuners have been replaced but I have the originals. Any information on this guitar would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EpiChetAtkinsSST2.jpg

I would be interested if anyone can give me more information about this guitar. I believe it was purchased new in 1999 by the previous owner but there is no serial number on the guitar. I know those made by Samick often had a stick on serial number that mostly got removed. The birds eye maple top is absolutely stunning and I have been told this was a De Luxe version of the SST. I have been unable to find another one that looks the same. Oh the tuners have been replaced but I have the originals. Any information on this guitar would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had one of the Cherry Sunburst ones, it was really nice. I like the older ones with the faux soundhole better than the newer models. Here's from a 1998 Epiphone web page:

Epiphone's Chet Atkins SST Custome

Features & Benefits

Scale Nut Length: 24.75"

Nut Wide: 1.68"Specifications

• Pickups Piezo / 1 Tone; 1 Volume

Hardware Gold

Scale/Nut width 24.75" / 1.68"

Neck Joint Set

Neck Material Mahogany

Fingerboard/Inlay RW / Dot

Binding B

Body Material Mahogany

Top Flame Maple

Also Available Standard - Spruce Top
    Deluxe - Birdseye Maple Top

I've got a later model from 2003. Picked it up for £80.00 a couple of years ago. I've seen a few black ones but I've only ever come across this one in natural wood finish. It's quite nice to play but the sound is nothing like an electro/acoustic sound to my ears.

ChetAtkins_small.jpg

I had one of the Cherry Sunburst ones, it was really nice. I like the older ones with the faux soundhole better than the newer models. Here's from a 1998 Epiphone web page:

Epiphone's Chet Atkins SST Custome

Features & Benefits

Scale Nut Length: 24.75"

Nut Wide: 1.68"Specifications

• Pickups Piezo / 1 Tone; 1 Volume

Hardware Gold

Scale/Nut width 24.75" / 1.68"

Neck Joint Set

Neck Material Mahogany

Fingerboard/Inlay RW / Dot

Binding B

Body Material Mahogany

Top Flame Maple

Also Available Standard - Spruce Top
    Deluxe - Birdseye Maple Top

Many thanks that's great were they manufactured by Samick in Korea?

I've got a later model from 2003. Picked it up for £80.00 a couple of years ago. I've seen a few black ones but I've only ever come across this one in natural wood finish. It's quite nice to play but the sound is nothing like an electro/acoustic sound to my ears.

ChetAtkins_small.jpg

Thanks yes I have seen a lot of that model especially in black.

Many thanks that's great were they manufactured by Samick in Korea?

Can't say for sure. If it is a 1999, I would be inclined to think it was made by one of the other Korean manufactures (Saien, Unsung, Peerless). Samick filed for bankruptcy in 1996, and I'm not certain Epiphone was even using Samick in the late 90s. In fact, as part of their restructuring, Samick shut down their Korean plant at some point and now have a tremendous factory in Indonesia.

BTW, the one I had didn't have a serial # either.

Can't say for sure. If it is a 1999, I would be inclined to think it was made by one of the other Korean manufactures (Saien, Unsung, Peerless). Samick filed for bankruptcy in 1996, and I'm not certain Epiphone was even using Samick in the late 90s. In fact, as part of their restructuring, Samick shut down their Korean plant at some point and now have a tremendous factory in Indonesia.

BTW, the one I had didn't have a serial # either.

Many thanks I appreciate your help its a nice addition and plays fine so I might hang on to it.

DSC01648.jpg

Many thanks I appreciate your help its a nice addition and plays fine so I might hang on to it.

DSC01648.jpg

Well, if you're going to keep it, you won't be needing the Duesenberg anymore, right??? I'll be glad to take it off you're hands!!!

It looks like a Mike Campbell with an alligator finish. A lot cooler than the blue and white, and that's a pretty damn cool guitar...

Well, if you're going to keep it, you won't be needing the Duesenberg anymore, right??? I'll be glad to take it off you're hands!!!

It looks like a Mike Campbell with an alligator finish. A lot cooler than the blue and white, and that's a pretty damn cool guitar...

Ha you could be right [rolleyes] its a TV Starplayer Outlaw basically the same guitar only with an alligator tolex top. Looks mean but plays a dream. Its also got a killer book matched flame back on it

DuesenbergTVStarplayer7.jpg

Here are the spec's

The Outlaw Starplayer TV takes the standard model to the next level with a truly rockin tolex gator top! All the great features you love about the Starplayer TV with a little added edge to your look!

We have taken our Starplayer TV into the world of extreme by adding a whole new look to our deluxe semi-hollow body guitar. We have given our DTV a black leather Alligator Tolex covering that gives a new meaning to the words “Bad to the Bone.”

The Outlaw is provided with our custom-wound DP90 in the neck position along with our vintage Humbucker in the bridge position. The feel and tone still says Duesenberg, but a look that says, Wicked….

specs:

• Arched Spruce Top and Maple Back • Bent Sides and Sustain Center Block • American Hard Rock Maple Necks • Indian Rosewood Fingerboard • Scale 647 mm / 25.5" • 12" Fingerboard Radius • 22 Jumbo Frets 2.8 mm x 1. / .110" x .039" • Dual Action Trussrod • Nut Width 42 mm / 1.654" • Hardware Nickel Plated • Duesenberg Bridge with Steel Saddles • Duesenberg Diamond Deluxe Tremola • Duesenberg Deluxe Tuning Machines • Duesenberg Strings: 010-013-017-028-042-050 • Duesenberg Grand Vintage Humbucker • Duesenberg Domino Single Coil • German Silver open Pickup Covers • Heavy Duty Pots (made in Japan) • Heavy Duty 3-way Switch (made in USA) • Heavy Duty Platinum Output Jack (made in Italy)

Archived