Gibson Brands Forums

Cs336 new bridge and tuners

craigaboy

I would like to replace the bridge on my guitar with this one

http://www.callahamguitars.com/abr1.htm

Does anyone have a suggestion on some nice tuners I can upgrade to?

Any thoughts?

Craigboy, your choice for the bridge replacement seems good. If their bridges are as good, and make the difference (sustain,tone, etc.) that they say they

do, then it seems like you're making a good. choice. The price is a bit steep, maybe because it's steel as opposed to an alloy. If you get this bridge, let

me know what you think and if it truly makes that big a difference and is worth it. I have a CS-336 myself and was sort of perplexed when I realized it had

an ABR1 bridge. You would thing with a guitar of this caliber Gibson would go the extra mile and put in a more decent bridge.

On the otherhand, I don't see why you want to change the tuners. I've been perfectly happy with the Gibson Deluxe tulip tuners installed on my CS-336

and it does give the guitar a more vintage look, even though they only started manufacturing them in 2000. But to each his own.

• 11 months later...

When I bought my CS-336 I've experience tuning problems & bridge rattle.

Very bad things for an expensive guitar. But a sunday I've decide to work on this. With fine sandpaper I've work on the nut enlarging and clearing and with bigger string, form stock .010 to .011, the bridge rattle is gone.

A fine tuning of action with the truss-rod and the bridge and now the guitar is awesome.

Wow, that's quite a relatively expensive item... CNC billet steel for about $150 vs Gibson's $8 bridge?

It would be interesting to make a controlled comparison test and see if we can tell the difference from the sound. Even better, if you send it to Callahan and have them guess which is a CNC billet bridge.

Archived