Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Button Replacement

suburude63

Elderly sells the best and most historically accurate ones from Willi Henkes in Germany. Here are the links for the different colors:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AAB1-CREAM.htm

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AAB1-BLACK.htm

Willi also offers a video to show you how the install them. They are really nice buttons. I used them on my 57 LG-1 and installed them myself. So easy a caveman could do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcXZ8Q5Cij8

Results on my LG-1

86f4ace6.jpg

Am I getting the price right on these? $3.00 a peice. Also thanks for the lead but Gibson did not use concave buttons I do not think?

Not sure what vintage of Gibson you are talking about. The buttons I used were exact replacements for Gibson's "3 on a plate" tuners. Here are pictures of the original button on my 1957 LG-1. What model and year of Gibson are you looking for?

Yes, $3.00 a piece is right. They are a little spendy but worth it. Other ones aren't true to vintage spec and have an obvious molded seam down the middle which makes them look cheap. The buttons from Willi Henkes have no seam. They are also a cream color while others are stark white.

Here my original buttons (obviously badly shrinken)

DSCF1615.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

Oh wait, just reallized you bought a 57 SJ so I assume you are asking about that. Which tuners are on it? It appears the originals should have been individual Kluson's with the oval buttons. Here is a couple of pictures of a 55 I found. I supposed its possible the original could have been "3 on a plate" Klusons. That would be period correct as well.

55_sjn_1.jpg

55_sjn_5.jpg

55_sjn_6.jpg

Jim, Ryan is correct about the buttons. The ones that Willi makes and Elderly sells are as close to the originals as you'll get.

StewMac also sells replacement buttons that may cost a bit less but like Ryan said they are white. You might want to check out their site I seem to remember them also offering a cream colored button as well.

You might also consider buying new Klusons, that are the exact replacements for your originals. Put them on your guitar and in the meantime get new buttons for the original tuners and put them away to sell with the guitar when the time comes. I bought these replacements for my 59 SJN.

The new tuners work so much better then the old one's. You can find ways to make the white buttons look vintage at StewMacs site also. I've used brown shoe polish on the white buttons to darken them a bit.

I bought my replacement Klusons from a dealer who sells on E-Bay. I think they were only $34 ? I'll try to find their site and send it to you.

Frank.

Jim, Ryan is correct about the buttons. The ones that Willi makes and Elderly sells are as close to the originals as you'll get.

StewMac also sells replacement buttons that may cost a bit less but like Ryan said they are white. You might want to check out their site I seem to remember them also offering a cream colored button as well.

You might also consider buying new Klusons, that are the exact replacements for your originals. Put them on your guitar and in the meantime get new buttons for the original tuners and put them away to sell with the guitar when the time comes. I bought these replacements for my 59 SJN.

The new tuners work so much better then the old one's. You can find ways to make the white buttons look vintage at StewMacs site also. I've used brown shoe polish on the white buttons to darken them a bit.

I bought my replacement Klusons from a dealer who sells on E-Bay. I think they were only $34 ? I'll try to find their site and send it to you.

Frank.

Yes do that Fred and Thanks in advance!! [thumbup]

Archived