Gibson Brands Forums

My sweet, lovely LP SL 755

juwel1998

Hello everyone,

short introduction..... I just started learning how to play the guitar. About 6-8 weeks ago. I got myself a nice acoustic (non Gibson). I really liked it. Then I remembered Slash in all those G'n'R videos when he started playing solo. I really enjoyed to watch him play and the way the guitar sounded, it was always like a "crying" sound. To make a long story short, I found out there is a Slash DTB Model with the Fishman bridge and the extra 3-way-mini-toggle. I bought it and now heard from a Gibson Admin here on the forum, that is was built in the month I was born, in June. So, I guess it must be fate, destiny or whatever you wanna call it.

My descision to get such an expensive instrument must be correct.

Here are some pics of my sweet "baby":

P1020309.jpg

P1020310.jpg

P1020311.jpg

P1020312.jpg

P1020313.jpg

P1020316.jpg

Hey BIGBENDS,

well, yes actually I bought it new - at least that's what the sellers of the authorized Gibson Shop told me. There was no COA thought, but I called them up to tell them I want one. Thanks for your compliments, you are the second to comment on those pics. The first one to do that was in the "Introduce Yourself" section.

Actually for now I don't have an Amp yet, since I live in a house with 8 parties and I live on the top floor.........

I do not want to risk my apartment. But I do play it through a Line 6 Pod 2.0.

I just started playing guitar on my acoustic one, decided to get an electric as well [laugh][biggrin][rolleyes] so I cannot really tell you how my "baby" sounds. Maybe in a couple of years or so. But I have the impression that it kind of gets easily out of tone, because almost every single time I take it out of the case I have readjust the tuners - just a slight bit, but is has to be done.....

Any idea what I can do there....

Thanks for any suggestions

JULIA

Hi Julia. Soon enough you'll be jamming something good on the "Slash". Keep practicing and soon it'll be like a knife through butter. As for the guitar going out of tune, mine does the same if I don't play for a few days. Temperature changes and humidity changes, I guess, are to blame for that. But then again I have a PRS that stays in tune for months at a time. I've become used to tuning my Gibson guitars after not playing them for a while. Usually they end up sharp # after sitting a few days. What are you learning to play on the acoustic?

• 1 month later...

Hi Julia,

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come. As for the guitar being slightly out of tune a lot as BIGBENDS has mentioned guitars are living things that change over time and with climate and environment changes. However there is probably another explanation that might be at work, especially since you are also a new player. Guitar strings stretch over time, and they can be very finicky if not put on properly. A lot of folks have particular ways that they like to string their guitars, and there are a lot of sites with information and tips for different ways on how to do it. You will eventually develop your own method for doing them. The biggest rule when you put strings on is not to have the string wrap over itself on the tuning post. Usually two to three wraps around the post is enough string. If the string is wrapped around the post so that there are two or three layers of string on the post, you will have tuning problems for ages or until you put new strings on the guitar. The second big tip is to stretch the strings when you put new ones on. This removes a lot of the stretching that naturally occurs right at the start. Since I am going to assume that the strings are still pretty new on the guitar, and that there are not multiple layers of wraps on the posts (in other words that it is strung fairly well). What you might try is stretching the strings. Take each string, one at a time and pull up on it firmly. Depending on what guage of strings you are using, the thinner strings might be a bit nerve wracking for you the first time or two you do this. So for the lighter strings, just pull up slowly until you pull it about 1 inch above the fretboard. Do this near the middle of the neck. When you have given each string a tug or two, tune the guitar. Then starting at the low E or thickest string, stretch them again and then check the tuning. Do this 2-3 times and each time you should find that the strings do not go as far out of tune as you go along. Eventually you will find that the strings do not go more than about 1/2 note out of tune when you give them a tug. Tune them one last time and try that.

When you change the strings, do this to stretch them as soon as you put them on and see if it helps it stay in tune better. If you are nervous about pulling on the strings, take the guitar into your local shop and ask them to show you how to do it, or find a player or instructor who knows how to do it and ask them to show you what to do. We all had to learn how to do it at one time or another so don't feel like a newbie. Proper stringing and stretching can go a long way to improving the tuning stability of the guitar. Beware if you take it into a shop and they tell you that you need new tuners, or recommend locking tuners. It is a ploy to get you to spend money. There is nothing wrong with the tuners. I have never seen a Gibson tuner fail in over 30 years of playing.

There can be other issues that can cause tuning problems, but stringing and stretching is the most common cause. Another possible problem is with the nut binding the strings. In case you do not know, the nut is the plastic piece with the slots for the strings cut into it where the strings go to the tuners. If this is giving a problem you will usually hear little pings as you tune the guitar. The guitar string will get near pitch (proper tune) and then you will hear a ping, and then the string will be flat or below pitch. This can be a problem with the slots themselves, although Gibson now uses a Plek machine when making the necks, so that should not be a problem now. If the strings are a larger guage than originally used on the guitar, they can bind in the nut too. Most LPs come with 9's for strings. This means the smallest string is 0.009 of an inch in diameter. Strings come in groups of sizes, i.e. 9-43 is one where your high E is 0.009 and the low E is 0.043 of an inch. The slots in the nut are cut accordingly. Changing up one size say to 10's usually doesn't cause a problem. However if you go from 9's to 12's you should probably have a guitar tech widen the nut slots. If your strings are pinging, you can take a normal lead pencil and run the lead along the slot a few times. The graphite will lubricate the slots and should help. You can also by products that will do the same thing. Rarely there can be burrs on the saddles in the bridge that will grab the string and give you pinging as well. Until you have more experience with guitars, that should be fixed in a shop although it is fairly easy to do. Something else that is overlooked when people have tuning problems with their guitars, is storage. If you put a guitar in a gig bag the bag will press on the tuner keys and alter the tuning of the guitar. Even a hard case can give you problems. I have heard a lot of people say that the D and G strings are always out of tune on Les Pauls. Next time you are putting your guitar back in the case, stop just before you lay the headstock in the case and then put it in slowly while you watch the top of the headstock. The D and G tuners are the top two tuners and often get bumped when people are putting their guitars back in the cases or taking them out. They are also prone to getting bumped on objects as you play and move around, especially on stage.

So those are some of the many things that can create tuning problems for you. Try stretching the strings first and see if that helps. If the strings are not on the posts properly (extra wraps) then change them, restring it properly and stretch the strings as you are tuning the new strings. Another thing to remember in case no has told you as yet, always tune up to pitch. You want to be slightly flat and slowly raise the pitch until it is in tune. If you go past being in tune, go back to being slightly flat and the tune up again. The tuner uses a worm gear and there is always a tiny bit of play there called backlash. It is no more than a few thousands of an inch so it will not drop you by two notes, but it can drop you by half a tone. Tuning up makes sure that the backlash is going the other way (down) so it will not slip that tiny bit.

Again, if you are not sure about restringing, take it to a shop and ask them to show you. Any decent shop should be willing to show you how to do it. Remember that, even if you stretch the strings well, they will still stretch a little bit as you play. If you still are having problems with it not staying in tune, take it back to the shop where you got it and ask them to take a look at it for you.

We all had to learn how to do this and it is part of the fun of owning and playing guitars. Good luck with your playing and with the guitar. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Cheers and sorry for the long winded post.

Archived