Gibson Brands Forums

EDS1275 Custom Shop

The Devils

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question...

I bought a Gibson EDS1275 cherry and decided to buy a second use custom shop white alpine...Any reason why the switches are not placed at the same spot than the regular 1275 ? Cherry 1275 has the down switch to choose necks, CS1275 has the same switch on the left side and so on...

Also pickups sounds different, they sound like an Epiphone guitar...0 or 10 ! nothing to right away distorted...I've checked and the guitar doesn't seems to be a fake chinese...

Thanks for your answers :-)

I bought a cherry Gibson EDS-1275 in 2006 after all double neck production was moved to the Custom Shop.

There were many minor changes over the years - first thing is to establish when each guitar was built.

To call ANY of them "the regular 1275" is a bit of a stretch.

You state that the "CS1275 has the same switch on the left side"... not sure I follow you.

Left side?

Of what?

Gonna need a clearer description of the guitars and the notable differences.

It's possible one has been modded.

The Epiphoney control scheme is much more user-friendly for gigs, I considered modding mine in a similar fashion.

Chickened out.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

[thumbup]

I bought a cherry Gibson EDS-1275 in 2006 after all double neck production was moved to the Custom Shop.

There were many minor changes over the years - first thing is to establish when each guitar was built.

To call ANY of them "the regular 1275" is a bit of a stretch.

You state that the "CS1275 has the same switch on the left side"... not sure I follow you.

Left side?

Of what?

Gonna need a clearer description of the guitars and the notable differences.

It's possible one has been modded.

The Epiphoney control scheme is much more user-friendly for gigs, I considered modding mine in a similar fashion.

Chickened out.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

[thumbup]

Left side I mean the switch between the 2 necks, which is a neck selector on the custom shop white alpine while the neck selector is the bottom switch on my cherry red 1275. Also the controls knobs are not functionning in the same way....

I'll post the date of each later as I'm not home...

Thanks for welcoming me :-)

My cherry 1275 is set up exactly like this one from the Gibson site;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/EDS-1275-Double-Neck.aspx

c7767899-bf41-46d4-ba2f-2d02179eced5.jpg

The Epiphone typically has a third switch between the necks.

This is usually the neck selector, while a separate pickup selector is near each bridge or control knobs.

Pics of mine in my signature.

My cherry 1275 is set up exactly like this one from the Gibson site;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/EDS-1275-Double-Neck.aspx

c7767899-bf41-46d4-ba2f-2d02179eced5.jpg

The Epiphone typically has a third switch between the necks.

This is usually the neck selector, while a separate pickup selector is near each bridge or control knobs.

Pics of mine in my signature.

Looking at the pic, the left switch between the 2 necks is the neck selector on my white alpine guitar, and the pickup selector on my red cherry which I think was the standard way they used to do it. Guitarist Gordie Johnson uses a lot of EDS1275, and his neck selector is always the bottom switch.

Let me amend my statement;

I got another look at mine.

I realized I may have been unclear or steered you wrong on the switches.

Switch between the bridges - that's usually the neck selector on all of them, Gibson or Epiphoney.

Switch on the lower bout by the neck - pickup selector.

If there's another switch between the necks (Epi) - it is another pickup selector for the 12 neck only.

So, what exactly is the story on the two you own?

Anything odd, different, or screwed up?

Let me amend my statement;

I got another look at mine.

I realized I may have been unclear or steered you wrong on the switches.

Switch between the bridges - that's usually the neck selector on all of them, Gibson or Epiphoney.

Switch on the lower bout by the neck - pickup selector.

If there's another switch between the necks (Epi) - it is another pickup selector for the 12 neck only.

So, what exactly is the story on the two you own?

Anything odd, different, or screwed up?

Switch between the bridges I don't think it's usually the neck selector. It is on my CS white alpine and it's not on my red cherry. As I told, I've seen Gordie Johnson using many Gibson double neck and this switch on his guitars is the pickups selector

Thanks for your answer

Now how come my white alpine pickups are 0 or 10. It really sounds like Epiphone pickups. It's already very distorted à 2 or 3....

Switch between the bridges I don't think it's usually the neck selector. It is on my CS white alpine and it's not on my red cherry. As I told, I've seen Gordie Johnson using many Gibson double neck and this switch on his guitars is the pickups selector

Thanks for your answer

Now how come my white alpine pickups are 0 or 10. It really sounds like Epiphone pickups. It's already very distorted à 2 or 3....

If you look at this video

You will see the Switch on the lower bout by the neck, is the neck selector

As far as different wiring set ups or switch functionality, check this out;

felder-gibson-doubleneck-460-100-460-70.jpg

How many outputs do you see?

Point being, there may have been some mods performed on your guitar.

That's not always a good thing.

Soldering involves lotsa heat, and lotsa heat applied to a pot or pickup spells death for that component.

Hard saying from the other end if all you got is symptoms vaguely described.

Somebody working in there may have fried something, and didn't realize it until they got it back together.

Then they probably attempted to fix it again before selling it...

[cursing]

Save yourself some heartache and take BOTH of them to a good luthier.

(And I don't mean Beavis & Butthead at Guitar Center either...)

Ask around, call around, and take it to somebody willing to trouble shoot it who knows their stuff.

Both guitars means that the guy can check one against the other if there are issues or questions.

That's all I got.

Anybody else?

Archived