Gibson Brands Forums

Humidity And Air-Con

w66

Hi,

I keep my 57' VOS in its case whenever its not in use, but due to the cold weather at the moment, iv'e been leaving the air-conditioner on a pretty constant 18 deg, a friend told me that having the air-con on warm for extended periods can lead to the air drying out, and that to help stop any damage to the guitar, I should leave a container of water in the room to maintain some humidity and stop the air drying out.

Does this make sense to you longtime players? or does it soud like bulldust?

thanks for any help.

All guitars are subject to potential damage due to excess or insufficient humidity, extreme temperatures, rapid temperature or humidity changes or extreme temperature or humidity changes.

They are all made of wood (at least mostly made of wood), and finished with a lacquer or synthetic finish. Wood is a dynamic substance which contracts or expands due to temperature or humidity changes.

People who endeavor to maintain guitars (or other fine wood items), including all guitar manufacturers, endeavor to maintain consistent temperature and humidity levels, within the appropriate range for wooden instruments. That is generally held to be around 70 degrees F at around 45% relative humidity. A reasonable deviation from either, as long as the changes occur gradually rather than very rapidly, is held to be acceptable. Interestingly, the acceptable levels for the instruments, are also levels which are comfortable for many if not most people. A range of around 68-75 degrees (F) and 45-55% RH is what many/most people find comfortable.

Invest in a Digital Thermometer / Hygromoter combination unit (or more than one if instruments are stored in multiple locations of your home) and monitor them. Adjust your home environment accordingly. Many stores such as Radio Shack used to sell those units for around $20 or $25. They will prove to be a very useful investment.

Keep the instruments in their cases whenever not being played as well. Not only does it protect them from impact, but the "air environment" within the case remains more stable given the reduced volume and "closed" environment.

Best of luck!

Archived