Gibson Brands Forums

05 Epi Les Paul Custom Upgrade and HW conversion

Dega500

Hey all,

I've got an Ebony 05 Epi Les Paul Custom that I picked up a while back. I love the action on the guitar and set out to find some gold Gibson 57 classics to replace the stock pups. I have 57 classics in my 80 Gibby Standard and love them. I play through a Digitech RP500 so I wanted my backup (heck, lately I've been starting with the Epi) to have the same output. Anyway, during my search for gold pups I ran across a killer deal on some nickel 57's. Now I am in the process of doing a complete gold to nickel hardware conversion on the Custom.

I already had some nickel Grovers that were a direct replacement to the gold ones in the Custom and of course the nickel 57's.

I did a little research and ordered a (highly recommended) nickel Gotoh bridge, tailpiece, pickguard screws, pickup ring screws (9/16" lg. was all they offered), three way switch and pickguard bracket from StewMac. It all arrived yesterday and when I went to pop the new tailpiece bushings in they just fell loosley in the hole. Dang, too small of a diameter. The posts did screw in to the gold bushings so I'm not completetly dead in the water yet but I would like to see if anyone can steer me to a set of Epiphone Nickel tailpiece bushings (and likely bridge post bushings). I fear that the bridge bushings may be the same. I did not pull them to see. I could probably live with the gold bridge and tailpost bushings if it turns out to be a pain to replace them but I'd rather not if it's an easy fix.

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dega

Bump!

hi, welcome to the forum! i thought i had better say hello [biggrin]

your problem could stem from a metric/imperial thing going on, If i was you i would go back to the company that you bought the parts from and explain your dilemma.

hi, welcome to the forum! i thought i had better say hello [biggrin]

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been a memeber and lurking here for a while now since getting the LP Custom.

You may be right about the metric/imperial deal. I know several people had bought this same bridge and recommended it as an upgrade to a stock EPI bridge (which I think was actually built pretty well and hope the Gotoh plays as well). They probably just used the stock bushings. As I am converting gold hardware to nickel my situation is a little different. I had never actually noticed and was quite surprised that the bushings were even gold plated.

The Metric threads match perfectly too.

Dega

Archived