Gibson Brands Forums

New to Forum ... Was wondering ........

OPATRIOT

Gday All ... I am new to this forum so I know this question is probably asked allot ... Just purchased an 09 - J50 and Im trying new string's for tone ... Was wondering what strings come on it from factory and is it braced for mediums ?? What strings do you like on your gibson J45 / J50 ... ?? Dont want my new Baby Doll to fold in on me or pull apart .... I am loving this guitar , it has such a different voice than my others .... the neck is not as easy to play like my taylor but probably just takes getting used to .... Regards ... Davey

Wlecome on board mate, lots of good info here.

All Gibby acoustics come with masterbuild mediums. Good strings but I find they go flat quickly.

I experimented with strings s LOT and found the DR Sunbeams 13's to deliver the strongest, richest tone on my CW. Also a mehogany b/s guitar. Give em a go, you won't be dissapointed.

Cheers.

Ps: all the tracks on my reverb nation site below were recorded with DR sunbeams, most tracks were played with the CW

'The strings mounted at the Montana facility are Gibson Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze wound of the Light gauge: .012 .016 .024w .032w .042w .053w' -

This is what the Gibson people replied when I asked them this summer. I'm a new J-45 player too and experiment back and forth. The D'addarios EJ16 .012 sounded very good. The Martins SP Ph. B. 012 - .001 thicker third and sixth string - I put on last Friday sounds even better. You're so right about this classic guitar being different from others. It has a character of its own which it's a pleasure getting to know. I had some 'troubles' around my A-chords due to the build in compresser, but now the A-string seems to slowly get stronger. Not quite sure about this yet, and must study closer. Would like to hear if you or others have simular experiences, , , and better tips concerning strings and so. Before buying this one, I tried another from 08 (mine is from this year). It had a bit thicker bass and wasn't as balanced. Then this showed up a few streets away, and of course I had to try it. Suddenly any doubt disappeared and during the first 2 or 3 days after bringing it home, I knew it would stay here, , , probably forever.

Gday All thanx for the reply's .... Happy Tuesday !! ..... I have LT 80/20's on now and she sounds way to brittle .... I went ahead and placed an order for dean markley's , DR's , Ej 16's , Martin SP , etc. in Light's and Mediums and Bluegrass , sooooo I suppose I'll be doing A full on string test soon .... Action from the factory Is 4/32-3/32 so she's hard to fret ... With a new setup bone nut & saddle she should play allot better .... EMinor ... I will post a review after the setup is done ... Im thinking there will probably be a good bit of change .... LOVE the Balance this guitar has compared to my Dreads and Taylor ... And the vibration in my chest when I strum !! The guitar came flawless factory new .. I was a bit worried you know .. Gibson is getting some bad reviews out there about that ..... Cheers ... Davey

Archived