Gibson Brands Forums

AJ Concert Custom Limited

Lefty

Hey folks, curious if anyone can help me out. I'm looking at a Advanced Jumbo Concert Edition Custom Limited. It sounds and plays very well to my ear. Louder and crisper than my J-45 TV, but not as warm. It seems like it would be a nice ax to compliment the J-45 since the tones are strikingly different. Seems like it would be fun for flat pickin and strummin and would have a more volume sensitivity (range) and would cut through the mix with just a bit stronger attack if you wanted it to. Anyhow, I have not been successful finding any reviews about it. I found a bit of info such as that it has "1930's Top Bracing for Maximum Dynamic Range, Lighter Weight and Trimmer Body (Approx 1" Thinner), Brilliant 3 Piece Figured Madagascar Back and Sides, Custom Gold Open Back Vintage Tuners, Special Vintage Closed Slotted Bridge and Baggs Element Pickup, Classic Headstock Logo, Inlay and Custom Decal, Includes Premium Hardshell Case with Limited Edition Certificate!!"

Does anyone here have one, or is anyone familiar with the character, pros, and cons of these? Thanks

I'm looking at a Advanced Jumbo Concert Edition Custom Limited. It sounds and plays very well to my ear. Louder and crisper than my J-45 TV, but not as warm. ...

If you like it, go for it! What do care what we think?

That said, ... I've only played one and wasn't impressed. But I can't believe that Gibson has ever built a J-45 TV that isn't much louder than that one.

-- Bob R

I have owned an AJ Concert Ed. Custom for a couple of years. You hit on a couple of phonic points (accurately) about this particular guitar. It does cut thru!

It is loud and a bit bright for a Dreadnaught size body. Perhaps because it is 1" thinner than a conventional AJ. But I believe this gives the AJ Concert Ed. it's unique voice and it's comfort appeal. It is the one of the most comfortable D size guitar I have ever played!

I like it because it is NOT boomy. Like yourself, I would not call the AJ/CE tone 'warm' or "woody", tones. It is crystal clear all the way across the tone palette. IMHO this guitar shines when plugged into a decent acoustic amp. Gibson's pickup selection is voiced perfectly for this guitar. In a nutshell: tone is "very decent" unplugged..."great" and warmer when plugged.

The big attraction to me is the neck...plays real easy and fast. String bends are no problem if you like to play the Blues or do some acoustic lead work.

String spacing at the bridge is comfortable enough for finger picking (although an 1/8" more at bridge would be nice), and this AJ can be flat-picked easily too. Hybrid picking is tough on this guitar (that could be my problem.. not for other players)

I enjoy both finger and flat picking

I believe Gibson acoustics, in general, tend to be a bit muddy and dull...this AJ is a very lively acoustic with good overtones that is a gas to play because of its great neck!

After owning it for a couple of years, I now want to sell the AJ/CE NOT because I dislike this guitar in any way....buying, selling and evaluating is what I like to do. My next guitar will be a vintage Martin OM

Archived