Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Cases

Hawkcity

I'm a new forum member and just bought my first Gibson guitar after being solidly in the Martin fold for many years. The guitar is an Advanced Jumbo II/ Luthier's Choice "Archetype" with Madagascar back and sides and Adi top. It also has abalone inlays and purfling. It has a "special" 1.77 inch nut width with what appears to be a different radius fretboard and low profile neck. It really feels like a Les Paul neck and action to me. Anyway, its a wonderful and unique guitar purchased from the only Five Star dealer here in Georgia. This was a fairly expensive guitar by my standard with a list price right at $6K. I had to sell an old Jazzmaster and Guild D-50 to get it. I love this guitar. I do not love the case. The case is the standard black acoustic case with red interior and lock. While adequate it does not do justice to the guitar. I called customer service in Bozeman to ask whether I might purchase the True Vintage case--the brown one with pink lining and was politely told no. I'm not ranting but why would a near $6K guitar ship with such a cheesy case and why won't Gibson sell me what I want--Waaaa! I'm really not whining, just curious.

Welcome to the forum. Gibson sells more expensive guitars than yours in the same case. Not sure, but I'm guessing they feel that those cases are structurally good for their guitars. The reason they won't sell you a TV case is because that case is a part of the TV series specs and only the TV models get that case. It's the same reason why you can't buy a Hummingbird pickguard from a Gibson dealer for a Taylor guitar.

Would love to see pictures of your new guitar.

Hawkcity, if that is the Gibson AJ I saw at Midtown Music (Atlanta) several weeks ago, it is stunningly beautiful. Congratulations.

My Gibson Blues King came with a lousy "gig bag", a real disappointment. But, I like the guitar.

Yes, it's the one from Midtown Music--I went in for a "regular" AJ, but when I saw and played this one I had to have it. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. I fully understand that Gibson sells more expensive guitars with the same case I have and I guess they want to maintain the exclusivity of the True Vintage cases. I guess I really am a whiner. I just thought I might could buy an upgraded case from Gibson but no can do.

Yes' date=' it's the one from Midtown Music--I went in for a "regular" AJ, but when I saw and played this one I had to have it. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. I fully understand that Gibson sells more expensive guitars with the same case I have and I guess they want to maintain the exclusivity of the True Vintage cases. I guess I really am a whiner. I just thought I might could [b']buy[/b] an upgraded case from Gibson but no can do.

I think you've already got the best case they have to offer. The TV case isn't necessarily better structurally, it's just got a different look. And I think Gibson wants to keep that look for their TV line.

Hawkcity, Well I can verify that is one really fine guitar -- looks, sound, playability. Midtown Music is my favorite music store. I have a few bucks coming in shortly, and will be going back to look at some of their other fine Gibsons.

Hoyt--Midtown Music is really groovy--it was my first visit. I was expecting the typical glitzy Atlanta storefront but boy was I wrong. One man in a simple store with lots of cool guitars. No hype, attitude, or pressure. For anyone in the market for a Gibson, give David a call at Midtown--great guy to do business with and no BS.

Eddie' date=' I don't think you're missing anything--the case is certainly adequate but in no way exceptional. The case is similar to the case I have for my 000-15 Martin but inferior to the "Geib Style" case for my D-18GE. [/quote']

Just curious, I have a Geib case for my D-28 Marquis and I can't see much of a difference... what do you see as the differences? Thanks!

My Geib case has an extra latch on the back/neck side of the case; the latches are sturdier on the Geib and appear to be attached better; the stiching appears better on the Geib. I really think my preference for the Geib is more aesthetic than functional (except for the extra latch). Overall the Geib appears of slightly higher quality.

Archived