Gibson Brands Forums

Using other strings then gibson strings on an R8

Ironman1536

One type of string I didn't see anyone mention is Curt Mangan. They are a little hard to find, and they aren't cheap, but why be cheap when you are stringing an R8? I figure, if I spend 3000 dollars on a guitar, I'm going to put first class strings on it, not 2.99 specials. They have pure nickel windings, not plated, which I like because they reduce fret wear drastically and they give your '58 that vintage sound. Most strings back then had pure nickel windings, plated strings were much more of a recent thing. They react with the magnet pole pieces differently because of their different magnetic properties. To my ears nickel wound strings sound mellow and smooth, just the sound I am looking for. A guitar tech turned me on to Curt Mangan and that's all that I use for the R8 and my double cut. Superior in my opinion to Gibsons, which are quite good, and vastly superior to everything else, Ernie Ball, D'Addario included. See their Web site www.curtmangan.com. I think that as long as you use the correct gauge, you can feel free to experiment with different brands and types. Eventually you will find a favorite. But if you try Curt Mangan you will like them. One thing, I don't believe they do coated long life strings. The tech said they think coatings adversely affect the sound.

Correction- concerning Curt Mangan strings. They have pure nickel windings and nickel-plated steel windings too so if you prefer that slightly brighter sound they have you covered. Sorry for the previously incomplete info. They are still awesome strings though!

Archived