Gibson Brands Forums

Using other strings then gibson strings on an R8

Ironman1536

So its time to change the strings on my R8. I know there was another thread not to long ago about strings but I was reading the stuff that came with my guitar and it said to only use Gibson such a such strings to get the proper intonation. I just dont watn to do anything to screw with the sound of my guitar. But if I used Elixir's wiht the same guages wouldnt it be fine? With the SG I didnt care about small stuff but I seem to really care with this one. The SG sounded great with a new pair of Elixirs.

** Im sure most clean their guitars when changing strings do you guys take off the E, and A and change those then the D, G or take them all off when changing?

Changing string brands won't affect your intonation. If you change gauges, you might need to adjust your set up. I believe there are only a few string factories anyway, so a lot of the brands are essentially identical. Some notice differences in sound and durability - that's probably due mostly to nickel or steel content, IMO. Tray a few brands to see which you like.

Gibson STILL makes their own strings.

I like 'em alot, but they can be pricey. I keep 'em on my Gibsons because I think I can hear the difference...

SP is right, brand really makes no difference but gauge will. Your intonation will be affected, if only slightly.

On my other guitars, I've been using D'Addario lately. Why?

Because Musician's Friend had a good deal on a box with 25 sets. A little over $2 a set for the box.

They have a high nickel content, will last a little longer.

I like Elixers on acoustics, not electrics.

On my other guitars' date=' I've been using D'Addario lately. Why?

Because Musician's Friend had a good deal on a box with 25 sets. A little over $2 a set for the box.

They have a high nickel content, will last a little longer.[/quote']

Giddyup - I hooked up on their deal too. Good strings at a good price. And now I'm down to my last two sets. I need them to run that special again! Although I must say, I find the color-coded ends mildly insulting - I think by now I can tell the difference between the B and E strings! (I'm not insulted enough to miss a good deal though!) eusa_drool.gif

If you dont use Gibson strings' date=' your neck will break off and not be covered under warranty. And the Les Paul gods will come down and poop in your case.

[/quote']

Happened to me once. I slept, next day, OH MY GOD. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CUSTOM. ITS A VOS NOW. NOOOOO

Actually they show up in some of my pics which adds to my aggravation with them. But you can't see them while playing which is good.

See...

GT2.jpg

Looks like SP is showing his true colors...

just messin' man!

I see you keep all of your nobs at 10....

HOLD ON A SEC!!!! IS THAT ONE AT 11?!?!?!?! haha

Very observant, young Mash. My knobs are almost always at 10. Once in a while I roll off to about 7 or 8 on volume or tone, but generally I like 'em wide open! IMO guitars sound best with the pups opened up.

So its time to change the strings on my R8. I know there was another thread not to long ago about strings but I was reading the stuff that came with my guitar and it said to only use Gibson such a such strings to get the proper intonation. I just dont watn to do anything to screw with the sound of my guitar. But if I used Elixir's wiht the same guages wouldnt it be fine? With the SG I didnt care about small stuff but I seem to really care with this one. The SG sounded great with a new pair of Elixirs.

** Im sure most clean their guitars when changing strings do you guys take off the E' date=' and A and change those then the D, G or take them all off when changing?[/quote']

Strings are strings and most of them come from just a handful of factories and are later branded by whatever company decides they want to sell strings. That's BS that the brand effects intonation. I recommend WebStrings - they sound good and they're cheap.

The "bullet" strings from brand"F" have a - You Guessed It - bullet shaped ball end. Supposed to work better with their tremolo. Other than that, the biggest difference in strings is the nickel content. Some manufacturers package different gauges, ie 52 low "E" vs 46. Some have a longer wrap at the ball end. As for intonation and setup, you can go up or down a gauge without affecting either. For example, if your guitar is setup with 10 - 46's, you can go to standard 9's or 11's without any problems. The only exception would be if you had a custom nut made for 9 - 42's and you went to a set of 10 - 52's or 56 low "E". You may run into nut friction and catching.

I use the Gibson brite wires or D'Addarios, both terrific strings. When changing I leave the high and low E strings on (loosened slightly), remove the others, do whatever cleaning needs to be done, replace the inner strings then replace the outer strings.

If anyone is in need of strings I noticed today that MF has the 10 pk. D'Addarios (with the annoying colored ball ends) at 29.99 for 10 sets again. That's as cheap as the webstrings and much cheaper than my local stores for sure.

One other aspect worth considering when choosing strings is what they're made of. Steel strings are nice because they're brighter sounding than nickel (a favorite attribute when playing an LP) but steel is harder than nickel so it can speed up fret wear. That's one of the other reasons why I like WebStrings.

Archived