Gibson Brands Forums

VJ Hot Rod schematic???

lowatter

I've no use for amp reverb myself, and have never tinkered with it on any amp thus far, but by the looks of this, you could improve the overall tone of the amp in general by following the general guidelines of the standard Vjr mods. The bypass cap values are too high, and I'm sure the output tube bias is absurdly hot as well, so fixing those two issues will go a long ways towards making the amp sound better overall, with or without the verb.

Read the mods thread and see what makes sense to you, but take your time, do one thing at a time, and don't drill any holes into the chassis unless you're absolutely certain you need them. Some of those mods that require additional holes aren't necessarily all that useful, imo, and you can easily end up with an extra hole or two in your faceplate, if you're not careful. And, speaking of careful, the usual warnings about the risk of electrical shock by poking around inside the chassis pertain...make sure the amp is unplugged and the filter caps drained before you start digging around. If you don't know how to do that, hire someone to do the work for you.

Archived