Gibson Brands Forums

Sound Hole Pick Ups

catass

I'm looking for some different sound hole pick up options for acoustic guitars. Just looking for some replies for folks that have tried different ones & which would be the best for the money spent, etc.

I'm not looking to drill holes in the guitar(s), so ...

I'm looking for some different sound hole pick up options for acoustic guitars. Just looking for some replies for folks that have tried different ones & which would be the best for the money spent, etc.

I'm not looking to drill holes in the guitar(s), so ...

I have a Dean Markley cheapie which makes my AJ500RC12-fret sound like my AJ500RC12-fret. Got it at deeeeeep discount at my local GC on sale, plus a coupon, and including a set of DM strings (I'm saving for spares--I used D'Addarios). Not a bad little deal.

Some folks I talk to have a very low opinion of DMs, but mine's doing fine, and I got a great deal on it.

I bought a Dean Markley ProMag XM for my Hummingbird ("Installs in seconds...") - brought it home & tried it, & found it didn't work at all, because I didn't hook it up right. (Seems it takes quite a bit of force to push the guitar cord's 1/4" plug into the 1/4" jack on the pickup, and I have strong hands). Finally did get it to work. Works with acoustic strings - doesn't need electric strings, like my EJ160-E.

I got an inexpensive DM too for a 12-string. No need to change strings. The 12-string was a super cheapie and I don't particularly care for endpin pickups, so I braced a bit inside and have a more standard "plug" inside the thing.

Everything will sound a bit different and different strings will sound different, so consider the sound hole thing ... almost always a work in progress.

I've used one off and on one way or another since around '66. They even had versions to fit onto old F hole guitars that had been made in the thousands in the '50s and even that worked rather well.

I'd say the real question isn't even so much which specific pickup - a search on MF or similar online store will offer lotza options - but almost more a matter of what you plan to do with the wires. That latter will play a significant role in your choice.

I went for cheap for that cheap 12. Regular light strings on it. Play it electric and it's almost as decent a sound as old Byrds recordings or Beatles "Hide Your Love Away" depending on amp settings. The guitar may be super cheap, but amped it's worth quadruple what I paid cuz it's actually more than half playable.

One thing I'd do differently today is a pickup with a built-in volume, if not volume and tone controls. Most folks will probably figure the end pin jack will be fine. I personally just don't care for it.

For a really retro look, you could figure how to add volume and tone controls on the guitar as on the jazz F hole models. Gibson and others did exactly that on a lotta 1950s and some '60s guitars so ...

m

Archived