Gibson Brands Forums

1942/43 J-45 Banner Reissue

Scottya

Hello!

I just won a J-45 Banner Reissue made in 1996, but I can't seem to find any information on these guitars online or on the forum. The tuners are not period correct, but rather the greenish "keystone"(?) tuners Gibson was using in the 90's I guess. It seems a little different from the True Vintage and the Legend series, but not much. It's still a nitro finish, no strap button on the back and otherwise 1942 or 43 specs.

Can anyone tell me what you know about this guitar? I'm looking forward to getting it. It got a good deal on it, so if it doesn't work out, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks!

-Scott

Hello!

I just won a J-45 Banner Reissue made in 1996, but I can't seem to find any information on these guitars online or on the forum. The tuners are not period correct, but rather the greenish "keystone"(?) tuners Gibson was using in the 90's I guess. It seems a little different from the True Vintage and the Legend series, but not much. It's still a nitro finish, no strap button on the back and otherwise 1942 or 43 specs.

Can anyone tell me what you know about this guitar? I'm looking forward to getting it. It got a good deal on it, so if it doesn't work out, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks!

-Scott

How on earth do you WIN a banner Reissue Gibson?????? Waaaaaah, I want one too....waaaaah.......(congradulations by the way)....waaaaaaah....

Won a J-45 Banner Reissue? Was it the one that sold on Ebay a few days back? This one was signed by Kitty Wells and her husband on the top of the Guitar. I tried to get some information and better photos out of the seller but he/she was not real forthcoming so I decided not to bid. Hope you can get the signatures removed from the top. You got a great deal on the Guitar if this is the one I think it is.

I'm not convinced the Banner Reissues of the mid 90's were structurally different from the J-45's from that same time. Some cosmetic differences. The Historic Series that came later were J-45's with a sticker on the back of the Headstock. A marketing strategy.

Post some pictures here when it arrives.

Won a J-45 Banner Reissue? Was it the one that sold on Ebay a few days back? This one was signed by Kitty Wells and her husband on the top of the Guitar. I tried to get some information and better photos out of the seller but he/she was not real forthcoming so I decided not to bid. Hope you can get the signatures removed from the top. You got a great deal on the Guitar if this is the one I think it is.

I'm not convinced the Banner Reissues of the mid 90's were structurally different from the J-45's from that same time. Some cosmetic differences. The Historic Series that came later were J-45's with a sticker on the back of the Headstock. A marketing strategy.

Post some pictures here when it arrives.

Yep, that's the one. I'm sure I'll be able to get signatures off---if I can't I have a good luthier who can. And, if I can't, I think Kitty Wells was pretty cool! :)

As far as what you said about structural differences, do you mean that it's basically a '96 J-45 just like you would buy a 2010 J-45 standard today, just with some cosmetic differences? That I shouldn't expect it to sound any different?

As far as the tuners go, if I want to replace them with the period correct tuners, I can just order the right 3 on a side tuners from Stewmac, right?

Thanks for the replies, fellers. I'll be sure to post some pics.

-Scott

If the seller had been more cooperative on the picture and information request, I would have bid on this one. I hope it arrives in the condition as described. Generally speaking, you can get a better sale price if you have pictures that show detail and answer the questions that are posed to you. He/she didn't mention in the description that it had been signed. I suspect the signatures will come off with some Naptha. I guess I could live with Kitty Wells sig but not her husband's sig.

I'm pretty sure the Banner Reissues were the same Guitars as the J-45's built in that same time frame but with different tuners and the Banner Headstock. I know Gibson did this for the Historic Series Guitars.

I like the Tonepro Kluson's on a J-45. They look right and they are well made machines with Titanium gears. Waverly's with Ivorid Buttons also look great. The Tonepros quite a bit less $$ though and will have the exact same footprint.

You got a great deal on the Guitar and I'll be interested to see some pictures. Well done and I hope it's a great player. I love my 45.

If the seller had been more cooperative on the picture and information request, I would have bid on this one. I hope it arrives in the condition as described. Generally speaking, you can get a better sale price if you have pictures that show detail and answer the questions that are posed to you. He/she didn't mention in the description that it had been signed. I suspect the signatures will come off with some Naptha. I guess I could live with Kitty Wells sig but not her husband's sig.

I'm pretty sure the Banner Reissues were the same Guitars as the J-45's built in that same time frame but with different tuners and the Banner Headstock. I know Gibson did this for the Historic Series Guitars.

I like the Tonepro Kluson's on a J-45. They look right and they are well made machines with Titanium gears. Waverly's with Ivorid Buttons also look great. The Tonepros quite a bit less $$ though and will have the exact same footprint.

You got a great deal on the Guitar and I'll be interested to see some pictures. Well done and I hope it's a great player. I love my 45.

Thanks Pickax,

I looked into the Tonepros and I think I'll go with your recommendation. The guitar should be here by the end of the week, but I wanted to go ahead and order the tuners. Are all the J-45's standard size? I'm guessing if I just order the TPKR3 series tuners I'll be set?

Again, thanks for all the help.

The Tonepro Klusons should just drop into the headstock as the tuning machines you have on this one now are the same size and footprint. You need a larger bushing if going from Grovers to Tonepros but in this case that won't be an issue. I had the 3 separate machines on each side on my previous 45 rather then the 3 on the plate version. I really like these Tonepros. Waverlys are my favorite machines but they are $$ Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Archived