Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue

zinthek

Does anyone own this guitar? And what's your opinion on it?

Is it worth the money? I'm interested in buying this guitar (stoptail version) cause I really like the burstbuckers but it seems a bit pricey.

I could just as well buy a 61 reissue and put burstbuckers in there and save myself $1000.

There's not a lot of info around about this guitar so can anyone give me their opinion on it? Thanks.

Best SG I've played by a mile...but that statement doesn't apply to all of them. If I were you, I wouldn't buy one just based on the fact of what it is. The day I bought this one, they had two VOS SGs and one the other VOS wasn't a very good guitar at all. You know how much they cost and if you can afford one, the SG world is your oyster. Go try a every SG model you can and buy the one you feel is best.

There are other differences but I wouldn't say they justify the price difference. The neck on the VOS should be thicker than a '61, the neck joint is different, horns, VOS has an ABR-1 bridge, pickups/pots, caps, all VOS have a 1-piece body (all '61s don't). Actually, I take one part back - the horns are worth the up-charge. [biggrin]

Here's mine. I bought it new but on the used market they sell for less than the price of a new '61RI.

IMG_1154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived